Friendly Win For 16’s

Rangers 4 Dundee United 2

A Rangers under 16’s side supplemented by two Under 17’s returning from injury took on Dundee United at Murray Park tonight. The United side included Josh Donaldson and Dylan Patterson who were both at Rangers last season. It was an entertaining game with the visitor’s a bit unfortunate to be trailing at half-time but the young Rangers side probably deserved to win over the ninety minutes.

United had the first attack in just over five minutes and it came down the right, when the ball was passed inside the shot forced Lewis Muir into a save. In their next attack on twelve minutes the visitor’s took the lead, this time the attack came into the left side of the penalty area and fired across Lewis Muir and into the far corner.

There then was a lull in goalmouth incidents and it was after the half-hour mark before either goal was threatened. When the next chance came along it was again from United, the attack was on the right of the box and a deflection took the shot just wide of Lewis Muir’s right hand post. Within in a minute Lewis Muir was called into action to save a long-range effort at his right hand post.

Rangers finally came close from a Carlo Pignatiello free-kick from the left that was missed by attackers and defenders alike as it just crept past the far post. Rangers then turned the game on its head with two goals in two minutes. The first came from a Matthew Shiels cross from the right that saw Sam Jamieson get ahead of his marker to send a first time volley past Josh Donaldson.

The goal that put Rangers ahead was a well worked goal, Rhys Breen and Sam Jamieson combined on the left to work the ball inside to Cammy Palmer, he passed inside the left-back to pick out Matthew Shiels run into the box and he shot past the keeper.

Rangers threatened again with Carlo Pignatiello attacking through the inside right channel before passing inside to Sam Jamieson who’s powerful shot from the edge of the box was parried by Josh Donaldson. Right on the half-time whistle Dundee United attacked through the centre and the attempted chip had Lewis Muir stretching to save.

Half-Time:- Rangers 2 Dundee United 1

The first effort after the break came from Rangers trialist Dominik Martisiak who’s shot from around twenty-five yards was comfortably saved. United drew level on fifty minutes and it was created by a superb piece of skill from Dylan Patterson on the left hand byline  he then looked up to pick out his colleague at the far post to chest the ball over the line.

Rangers replied when Cammy Palmer and Scott Blacklaw combined on the right and from the latter’s low cross the keeper dived out to parry and his defender completed the clearance. As the final quarter-hour approached Sam Jamieson chased a Billy Gilmour through ball and was denied by a brave save from the keeper.

Rangers edged ahead on seventy-seven minutes, Carlo Pignatiello spread the play to Matthew Shiels wide on the left and when he crossed into the box Sam Jamieson again escaped his marker to volley past the keeper. In the final minute Rangers put a bit of gloss on the scoreline, Mati Zata attacked through the middle and when challenged on the edge of the box the ball broke to Dapo Mebude on the left hand angle and he curled a superb shot over the keeper and into the top corner.

Full-Time:- Rangers 4 Dundee United 2

Rangers Squad:- Lewis Muir (Gk), Nicky Hogarth (Gk), Michael Hewitt, Rhys Breen, Cammy Palmer, Aidan Wilson, Danny Finlayson, Sam Jamieson, Mati Zata, Dominik Martisiak, Carlo Pignatiello, Matthew Shiels, Scott Blacklaw, Billy Gilmour, Dapo Mebude, Zack Butterworth.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: