Friendly Stroll For Under 20’s

Rangers 9 Airdrie

With last night’s Development League game at Dunfermline postponed Rangers wasted no time in arranging a friendly against Airdrie at Murray Park tonight. The visitors held their own until midway through the first half, but once the break through came the flood gates opened.

Rangers first effort on goal came after eleven minutes, Ryan Hardie fed trialist Mekhi Leacock-McLeod on the right hand angle of the box and his shot forced the keeper to save low to his left. The same player attacked on the right five minutes later before passing inside to Dylan Dykes who shot narrowly over from the edge of the box.

Within in a minute it was Dylan Dykes attacking the right side of the box and when he passed inside Jordan Thompson shot straight at the keeper. The visitors then had an attack of their own on the right and when the shot took a deflection Liam Kelly saved comfortably.

The deadlock was broken midway through the half, a superb turn on the halfway line from Mekhi Leacock-McLeod allowed him to break towards the Airdrie box, he continued before beating the keeper from the edge of the right side of the box. Within in sixty seconds a short pass back presented the ball to Ryan Hardie who continued into the box before beating the keeper.

The third goal came five minutes later, Mekhi Leacock-McLeod won the ball close to the byline on the right, he passed inside to Ryan Hardie who played the ball across the face of goal to Scott Roberts who stepped inside a defender before shooting into the net. Goals were now coming at regular intervals and the fourth came when Ross Lyon, in possession on the right side of the box, played the ball across goal for Dylan Dykes to net at the back post.

Ross Lyon was also the creator of the fifth, just outside the box and left of centre he passed inside for Jordan Thompson to curl a shot beyond the keeper and into the net. Rangers came close to a sixth two minutes before the break, Ross Lyon passed to Mekhi Leacock-McLeod wide on the right and when his crossed into the penalty area Ryan Hardie headed just wide of the far post.

Half-Time:- Rangers 5 Airdrie 0

The visitors held out for quarter of an hour at the start of the second half before Rangers scored again. The goal came when the ball was moved from Fraser Aird on the right via Max Ashmore to Scott Roberts on the left, he exchanged passes with Ross Lyon before shooting across the keeper into the far corner of the net.As the final quarter hour approached Airdrie failed to clear the ball from their box and the ball broke for Max Ashmore to find the net from around the penalty spot.

Number eight came when Ross King slipped a pass through to Jordan Gibson inside the left side of the penalty area and he cut inside before shooting past the keeper. The scoring was completed with five minutes remaining, Jordan Gibson went past two defenders on the left side of the box before being tripped and he stepped up to give the keeper no chance from the spot.

Full-Time:- Rangers 9 Airdrie 0

Rangers:- Liam Kelly (Robbie McCrorie 65 mins), Fraser Aird (Jamie Brandon 60 mins), David Brownlie (Craig Halkett HT), Jamie Mills; Dylan Dykes (Max Ashmore HT); Jordan Thompson (Ross King 60 mins), Ross Lyon; Mekhi Leacock-McLeod (Josh Jeffries 60 mins), Ryan Hardie (Rory Currie 60 mins), Scott Roberts (Jordan Gibson 60 mins).

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: