Cup Defeat For Under 20’s

St.Mirren 2 Rangers 1

Rangers Under 20’s were knocked out of the youth cup at St.Mirren Park tonight. It was a disappointing performance in a tie that they never looked like winning at any stage.

The early exchanges were tame with the best of those coming from Scott Roberts when he cut in from the left and fired in a shot that Dan Wilks saved comfortably. Midway through the half St.Mirren took the lead, Lewis Morgan was the creator and when his pass came in from the right Lewis McLear shot past Robbie McCrorie.

Two minutes later Kyle McAllister tried his luck from long range that Robbie McCrorie knocked up in the air before gathering. Ten minutes later Jordan Thompson passed to Ryan Sinnamon on the right, he exchanged passes with Ross Lyon, when he received the return pass inside the box he could only toe poke it towards goal and Dan Wilks got down to his left to save.

Within in a minute Jamie Barjonas broke towards the box before passing to Ross Lyon on the right, the ball was moved inside via Ryan Sinnamon to Dylan Dykes who’s shot drifted wide of the far post. 

Half-Time:-St.Mirren 1 Rangers 0

The home side had an early chance in the second half with a pass sending Darren White breaking into the box and it took a brave save at the feet of the Saints player from Robbie McCrorie to avert the danger. Rangers came close to an equaliser in the fifty-first minute, Ross Lyon picked out Ryan Sinnamon’s run into the right side of the penalty area but Dan Wilks did enough to divert his shot wide of his near post.

St.Mirren doubled their lead on fifty-seven minutes, when a corner was cleared from the Rangers box Kyle McAllister’s shot struck the inside of Robbie McCrorie’s right hand post and went across the face of goal were Jack Baird knocked the ball into the net.

Midway through the half Rangers had a free-kick wide on the right, Scott Roberts passed inside to Jamie Barjonas and his shot from the edge of the box was deflected wide by Jack Baird. With eighteen minutes remaining a long ball saw Kyle McAllister out muscle Ross McCrorie but he was rescued when brother Robbie saved at the Saint player’s feet.

Rangers pulled a goal back when attempted clearance cannoned off another St.Mirren player and went back into the box, when Ryan Hardie challenged Dan Wilks the keeper missed the ball completely and the Rangers striker knocked the ball into the net. It was too little too late and the home side saw out the few minutes of injury time for a deserved victory.

Full-Time:- St.Mirren 2 Rangers 1

St.Mirren:- Dan Wilks; Kyle Magennis, Darren Whyte, Jack Baird, Jordan Stewart; Kyle McAllister (Conor O’Keefe 73mins), Barry Cuddihy, Andy McDonald, Lewis Morgan (Mark Morrison 86 mins); Jaison McGrath (Cameron MacPherson 66 mins), Lewis McLear.

Not Used:- Reece Willison (Gk), Mark Barrowman,

Rangers:- Robbie McCrorie; Ryan Sinnamon, David Brownlie, Ross McCrorie, Jamie Mills; Jamie Barjonas; Dylan Dykes (Liam Burt 62 mins), Jordan Thompson; Ross Lyon (Tom Walsh 62 mins), Ryan Hardie, Scott Roberts.

Not Used:-Keiran Wright (Gk), Max Ashmore, Jamie Brandon.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: