17’S Held By Hibs

Hibernian 2 Rangers 2

Rangers Under 17’s dropped two vital points against Hibs in tonight’s game at Hibs Training Centre. A bumpy pitch and strong wind made conditions difficult. Rangers edged the first half but having to come from behind twice a draw was probably a fair result over the ninety minutes.

The home side took the lead on twelve minutes a switch of play allowing Dean Cornelius to break into the left side of the penalty area and shoot across Lewis Budinauckas and into the far corner. Five minutes later Ciaran Dickson passed to Dapo Mebude and a superb turn on the left hand angle of the box allowed him to curl a shot beyond Jay Cantley but the ball bounced of the far post.

Midway through the half Nathan Patterson on the left moved the ball forward to Ben Williamson whose pass sent James Maxwell through inside the left side of the penalty area but he shot over from a good position. Almost immediately Ruari Paton broke down the right  with Ryan Shanley shooting over when well positioned at the back post.

Just after the half-hour mark Kai Kennedy swung in a free-kick from wide right. it broke from Danny Finlayson to Cammy Palmer on the edge of the box but his shot was just too high. Three minutes before the break Rangers were level, another Kai Kennedy free-kick from the right was met by the head of a Hibs defender but it fell to Dapo Mebude just inside the box and his shot found the keeper’s bottom right hand corner.

Half-Time:- Hibernian 1 Rangers 1

Rangers had an early chance four minutes into the second half, Kai Kennedy’s corner from the left was headed just wide of the back post by Danny Finlayson. Just after the hour mark a brilliant defensive header from Danny Finlayson cleared a dangerous Kane O’Connor cross from the right.

The home side were back in front a couple of minutes later, when the pass came in from the right Ruari Paton turned inside the box to shoot past Lewis Budinauckas. Rangers  were behind for barely three minutes, the move of the match saw Rangers move the ball through midfield and Kai Kennedy attack the centre of the Hibs defence, when he was crowded out the ball broke to Dapo Mebude and his twenty-five yarder found the net with the aid of a slight deflection.

Hibs then created another chance Ruari Paton close to the right hand byline laid the ball back for Kane O’Connor who’s shot from the right hand angle of the box was saved by Lewis Budinauckas. With eighteen minutes remaining Cammy Palmer moved the ball forward to Kai Kennedy whose twenty-five yard shot forced Jay Cantley to save low to his left.

With four minutes remaining Kai Kennedy struck a free-kick on the edge of the box and central just wide of the keeper’s left hand post. Rangers had one final chance in injury time, good skill from Dapo Mebude made the space close to the left hand byline but the ball took a high bounce and he shot over.

Full-Time:- Hibernian 2 Rangers 2

Hibernian:- Jay Cantley; Kane O’Connor, Jonathan Moffat, Scott Walker, Jayden James Fairley; Dean Cornelius; Ross Young, Jack Hodge, Callum Yeats; Ruari Paton, Ryan Shanley.

Not Used:- Lewis Flucker, Liam Evans, Andrew Muir, Mackenzie Watson.

Rangers:- Lewis Budinauckas; Harris O’Connor, Danny Finlayson, Kyle McLelland, Nathan Patterson; Ben Williamson; Cammy Palmer, Ciaran Dickson (Zac Butterworth 72 mins); Kai Kennedy, Dapo Mebude, James Maxwell (Matty Yates 80 mins).

Not Used:- Jay Hogarth (Gk), John Balde, Murray Miller, Cole McKinnon.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: