Academy Double Header

Rangers 2 Hibernian 1

The afternoon game saw Rangers U16’s edge out Hibs in an entertaining game. Rangers took an early lead when Cameron Ossebi in possession on the right hand angle of the box passed inside to Zak Queen who moved the ball on to Finlay Curtis inside the right side of the penalty area and he shot past the keeper. Hibs first chance came on the twenty minute mark with an attack into the right side of the box but the shot went wide of the near post.

Rangers missed a great chance to double their lead midway through the half, Zander Hutton hit the right hand byline and he picked out Sean Phinn with his cut back but the midfielder shot over from a good position. Rangers second goal was only delayed five minutes, when Crispin McLean crossed from the right it was miscued by a Hibs defender and Cameron Ossebi was on hand to fire past the keeper.

Eight minutes before the break the visitors reduced the deficit, from a free-kick wide on the right a glancing header found the net at the far post. Rangers then had a chance from an indirect free-kick inside the left side of the box, Crispin McLean touched the ball to Rocco Friel who’s powerful shot was straight at the keeper.

The last chance of the half came at the other end with and attack into the left side of the penalty area with Scott Cowie saving low to his left.

Half-Time:- Rangers 2 Hibernian 1

Goalmouth action was limited in the first twenty or so minutes of the second half but a twenty five yarder from Hibs had Scott Cowie beaten but the ball cannoned of his left hand post. Hibs had another great chance a couple of minutes later, a ball in from the right found its way to the back post, Scott Cowie saved the initial shot with Niall Rogerson producing a superb block from the rebound.

With the game entering the final quarter hour Robbie Peffer’s pass sent Kieran Wilson through into the right side of the penalty area with the keeper saving at his near post. Kieran Wilson again threatened on the right and got to the byline, his cross was miscued by a defender but on this occasion Cameron Ossebi’s shot was saved.

Rangers had the final chance of the game, a sustained attack saw Kerr Robertson’s shot blocked, Crispin McLean followed up but saw his effort cleared on the line by a defender.

Full-Time:- Rangers 2 Hibernian 1

Rangers:- Scott Cowie; Zander Hutton, Rocco Friel, Niall Rogerson, Jamie Newton (Cameron Scott); Kerr Robertson, Sean Phinn; Crispin McLean; Finlay Curtis (Kieran Wilson), Cameron Ossebi, Zak Queen (Robbie Peffer)

Rangers 1 Hibernian 4

The morning game saw the U14’s on the wrong end of a three goal defeat. Hibernian took an early lead when they hit the left hand byline and the cutback was fired into the net. There was only ten minutes on the clock when they doubled their lead, the Rangers keeper couldn’t quite gather a corner from the right and the loose ball was knocked into the net.

By this point Rangers had already been forced into a change when U13 player Aidan Crilly took a head knock on the end of a heavy challenge and was replaced by fellow U13 player Oliver Goodbrand. Another forced changed soon followed with Farai Zvimba replacing the injured Zak Richford. Rangers first chance came from an Oliver Goodbrand cross from the left which was headed just wide of the far post by the Trialist No.9.

Rangers created the first chance of the second period, Farai Zvimba provided the thorugh ball and when the Trialist No.9 converged with the keeper and a defender at the edge of the box the ball went just wide of the keeper’s right hand post. With the next chance Rangers reduced the deficit, Thomas Falconer scoring with a superb strike from around twenty-five yards.

But it was the visitors who scored the next goal just before the whistle to end the second period, the attack took them to the right hand byline and the cross was volley into the net. Rangers responded in the third period and when a cross from the left found its way to Flynn O’Brien his shot forced a good save from the keeper, Matthew McIvor got his head to the rebound but it lacked power and the keeper gathered.

Hibs then came close when a free-kick from the left was headed just wide of the keeper’s left hand post. The fourth goal for the visitors was not long in coming, they attacked the centre of Rangers defence before a pass released an attacker inside the right side of the penalty area where it was fired into the net.

Full-Time:- Rangers 1 Hibernian 4

Rangers Squad:- Colbi McQuarrie (Gk), Arron McAloanan (Gk), Jack Caldwell, Lyle Hunter, Olly Hind, Thomas Falconer, Aidan McCallion, Alex Smith, Aidan Crilly, Zak Richford, Trialist No.9, Flynn O’Brien, Olly Goodbrand, Farai Zvimba, Matthew McIvor, Trialist No.12, Trialist No.14.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: