Under 18’s Defeat League Leaders

Rangers 3 Dundee United 1

Rangers Under 18’s built on the win over Aberdeen in their previous game to overcome league leaders Dundee United by the same scoreline. It was a deserved win with Ibrox youngsters generally in control over the ninety minutes.

There was only three minutes on the clock when Rangers took the lead, Connor Allan latched on to a slack defensive pass to break into the left side of the penalty area where he unselfishly teed up Rory Wilson to net from around ten yards. Less than ten minutes later Robbie Ure close to the left hand byline passed to Mackenzie Strachan on the edge of the box and his shot forced a fine save from Jamie McCabe low to his left diverting for a corner.

Rangers continued to impress and doubled their lead a couple of minutes shy of the half hour, Mackenzie Strachan picked out the head of Robbie Ure from a thirty yard free-kick and left of centre and the striker’s header gave the keeper no chance. United hadn’t shown much in the way of attack but with three minutes of the half remaining they moved the ball from the left to Stuart Heenan inside the right side of the box but his shot was weak and lacked direction with Jack McConnell saving easily.

Within sixty seconds they were thrown a lifeline when they were awarded what looked like a soft penalty. Rory McLeod attacked the centre of the box and the referee judged he was impeded by Leyton Dunlop and pointed to the spot, Finn Malcolm stepped up to convert from twelve yards.

Half-Time: -Rangers 2 Dundee United 1

The start of the second half was a bit more even but with little threat to either goal. Just after the hour mark another slack defensive pass gave Robbie Ure a chance but he was denied by a fine save from Jamie McCabe who turned the ball wide of his right hand post. With eight minutes remaining the watching spectators were sure Rangers were denied a clear penalty. Kyle Semple played the ball forward to Robbie Ure who entered the left side of the penalty area where Arron Donald pushed the striker to the ground with both hands on the back but to everyone’s surprise the referee awarded a goal kick.

Within the game in injury time the visitor’s attacked the left side of the penalty area and when Rory McLeod’s shot was blocked the ball broke to Craig Moore who saw his shot saved by Jack McConnell low to his left. Rangers then secured the win with a fine goal, Robbie Ure chased a long pass into the left side of the box and passed inside to Tyler Pasnik who went past a defender before shooting into the far corner of the net.

Full-Time:- Rangers 3 Dundee United 1

Rangers:- Jack McConnell; Zak McKay, Kelsey Ewan, Greig Allen, Kyle Semple; Leyton Dunlop; Ryan Duncan (Jack Roberts 60 mins), Mackenzie Strachan; Connor Allan, Rory Wilson (Tyler Pasnik 73mins), Robbie Ure.

Not Used:- Scott Cowie (Gk), Kristian Webster, Zak Queen, Harley Ewan, Crispin Mclean.

Dundee United:- Jamie McCabe; Miller Thomson, Arron Donald, Layton Bisland, Jacob Comerford; Lewis O’Donnell, Craig Moore; Rory McLeod; Stuart Heenan, Finn Malcolm (Dominic Naglik 73 mins), Bryan Mwangi.

Not Used:- Ruaridh Adams (Gk), Allan Domeracki, Kier Bertie.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: