16’s Grab Late Winner

Rangers 2 Kilmarnock 1

It took a Robbie Fraser penalty a couple of minutes from time to secure a win for Rangers U16’s (2003) at Auchenhowie tonight. It was a game Rangers pretty much controlled, especially in the second half but had failed to edge ahead until that late penalty.

Kilmarnock took the lead in the second minute the play was switched from the left to inside the right side of the penalty area and the shot found the net via the underside of the crossbar. Ten minutes later Lewis Robertson got to the left hand byline and from his cutback Dire Mebude’s clipped the outside of the near post.

Just after the quarter-hour mark a Killie cross from the right was controlled inside the box by their striker but his shot was too straight and Jack McConnell made the save. Almost immediately Adam Devine and Reegan Aitken combined to set up a shooting chance for Dire Mebude inside the right side of the penalty area but he dragged his shot wide of the far post.

With the twenty-minute mark approaching Dire Mebude burst into the box past two defenders but the keeper made a fine save. Five minutes later Dire Mebude laid the ball back to Lewis Robertson whose cross come shot from the left side of the box had the keeper stretching to claw the ball away.

Eight minutes before the break a great turn inside the box from Dire Mebude took him clear of the defence but his shot was weak and a defender got back to clear from the line.

Half-Time:- Rangers 0 Kilmarnock 1

When the Killie keeper fumbled a Robbie Fraser free-kick early in the second half a goal seemed inevitable but he recovered to block Matthew Henderson’s shot from the rebound. Rangers drew level on sixty-five minutes, some good play on the left allowed Matthew Henderson to reach the left hand byline and from his cutback Alex Lowrie netted from close range.

With three minutes remaining Rhys Caves exchanged passes with the trialist striker but his shot was saved by the Kilmarnock keeper. A minute later Reegan broke into the right side of the box and was tripped as he went past a defender, Robbie Fraser stepped up to send the keeper the wrong way from the spot.

In injury time Killie sent a free kick from ten yards inside Rangers half into the box, it went over the heads of attackers and defenders alike and bounced off the cross-bar.

Full- Time:- Rangers 2 Kilmarnock 1

Rangers Squad:- Jack McConnell (Gk), Adam Devine, Leon King, Ben Duncan, Matthew Henderson, Rhys Caves, Robbie Fraser, Alex Lowrie, Reegan Aitken, Dire Mebude, Lewis Robertson, Trialist, Aaron Lyall, Aiden Berry, Harley Ewan.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: