Youths St.Mirren Double Header

Rangers 3 St.Mirren o

The kick-off times meant I could take in both games at Auchenhowie today, first up was the under 15’s clash. It was a comfortable win for Rangers with missed chances in the first half especially keeping that margin to three.

Rangers first chance came on seven minutes when Reegan Aitken passed to Aaron Lyall inside the right side of the penalty area, he stepped inside a defender but the keeper blocked his shot with a foot. Six minutes later Matthew Henderson combined with Adam Mansouri on the left who played the ball across the box to Aaron Lyall who again stepped inside a defender but dragged his shot wide of the near post.

Just before the half-hour Aaron Lyall robbed a defender on the edge of the box, the keeper again blocked with his foot with Adam Mansouri following up to knock the ball into the net but was flagged offside. The break through came four minutes before the break when Adam Devine picked out the run of Reegan Aitken into the box and he slotted the ball past the keeper.

St. Mirren threatened just before half-time, the ball was moved from left to right for the full-back to try his luck from distance which Grant Thackray saved comfortably. There was still time for Reegan Aitken to release Adam Mansouri, who held his run from the halfway line to remain onside, he progressed to the right hand byline and his cross was touched on to the bar by the keeper.

Half-Time:- Rangers 1 St.Mirren 0

The first chance of the second half came for the visitors, the move was built up down the right and when the ball came into the box the close range shot was straight at Jay Hogarth. Rangers were soon back on the attack and when the ball was moved in from the right Robbie Fraser’s shot forced a save from the keeper low to his left. 

Almost immediately St. Mirren threatened when a corner came in from the right with Jay Hogarth saving the centre back’s header. Rangers doubled their lead midway through the half, Reegan Aitken passed to Tom Henderson on the right and his cutback found Aaron Lyall who beat the keeper with a calm finish.

By the time Rangers scored their third St.Mirren were reduced to ten men when their midfielder picked up a second yellow. With six minutes remaining when Tom Henderson passed to Reegan Aitken on the right, when he moved the ball inside to Robbie Fraser his twenty-five yarder gave the keeper no chance as it found his bottom left hand corner. The final chance came when Matthew Henderson released Matthew Collins to cross from the left, Reegan Aitken laid the ball back to Tom Henderson who forced a save from the keeper.

Full-Time:- Rangers 3 St.Mirren 0

Rangers Squad:- Grant Thackray (Gk), Jay Hogarth (Gk), Adam Devine, Aiden Berry, Leon King, Matthew Henderson, Robbie Fraser, Reegan Aitken, Lewis Robertson, Aaron Lyall, Adam Mansouri, Matthew Collins, Ben Duncan, Tom Henderson.


Rangers 2 St.Mirren 0

Next up was the under 17’s game with St.Mirren putting up stiff resistance although they never seriously troubled Nicky Hogarth in the Rangers goal. With Rangers leading by a solitary goal Josh McPake’s red card meant they had to play with ten men for the final twenty-five minutes. The game was made safe with a clinching second goal with twelve minutes remaining.

It took fully eighteen minutes before the game’s first real opportunity, Murray Miller combined with Kai Kennedy on the right and the latter’s through ball found Dapo Mebude who was denied when the keeper came from his line to block with his legs. Just after the half hour the St.Mirren keeper made a brave save at the feet of Kieran McKechnie as he chased a Josh McPake through ball.

On the stroke of half-time Kai Kennedy attacked the left side of the penalty area before shooting which the keeper saved at his near post.

Half-Time:- Rangers 0 St.Mirren 0

Rangers broke the deadlock on sixty-two minutes, the initial attack started on the right when Zack Butterworth passed to Dapo Mebude, his cutback picked out Josh McPake who was denied with a fine close range save from the keeper. The ball was cleared to the left hand angle of the box and when Ben Williamson met it on the half volley it was destined for the far top corner as soon as it left his foot. Three minutes later Rangers were reduced to ten men when Josh McPake received a second yellow and subsequent red card.

Rangers continued to look the most likely to add to the scoreline and when Jamie Walker played the ball forward on the left Zack Butterworth chased and won the ball on the byline with cross forcing the keeper to touch on to the bar. Rangers sealed the win with twelve minutes remaining, Zack Butterworth attacked the left side of the penalty area and went outside the full-back before sneaking a shot under the keeper at the near post.

Full-Time:- Rangers 2 St.Mirren 0

Rangers:- Nicky Hogarth; Nathan Patterson (Jay Mack 84 mins), Kyle McLelland, Harris O’Connor, Zack Butterworth; Murray Miller (Ben Williamson 49 mins); Ciaran Dickson, Josh McPake; Kieran McKechnie (Jamie Walker 59 mins), Dapo Mebude (John Balde 74 mins), Kai Kennedy.

Not Used:- Lewis Budinauckas (Gk), Ryan Muir, Euan Deveney.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: