17’s Win Against Hampden Youngsters

Rangers 3 Queen’s Park 1

For the second time in as many weeks the Under 17’s sides from Rangers and Queen’s Park served up a close entertaining encounter at Murray Park. Rangers eventually making the game safe with a late third goal.

The opening exchanges did not provide many clear scoring opportunities and twenty-five minutes were on the clock when the visitors created a chance  from the inside right channel, shooting narrowly over. A minute later when a corner was cleared from the penalty area Ryan Sinnamon broke into the right side of the box before shooting across goal and wide of the far post.

Just after the half-hour Queen’s Park had a great chance after a fine turn inside the box with keeper Liam Kelly making a fine block with his foot. Five minutes later Rangers opened the scoring with a superb goal, Tom Walsh won the ball on the halfway line and continued down the left-wing, when he crossed from the byline Danny Stoney gave the keeper no chance with a fine volley at the back post.

A minute later the home side doubled their lead, Jamie Burrows found Jamie Mills breaking forward into the inside left channel and his pass inside gave Dylan Dykes the chance, he cut inside a defender before finding the net despite the best efforts of the Queen’s keeper. A minute before the break a great passing move gave Queens a chance deep inside the Rangers box with Liam Kelly getting a vital touch to divert for a corner.

Right on the half-time whistle Hampden side did get back into the match, the ball was moved inside from the right-wing and the shot from just outside the box found the bottom corner,  Liam Kelly in the Rangers goal would have been disappointed not to have kept it out but would redeem himself later.

Half-Time:- Rangers 2 Queen’s Park 1

In the first minute of the second-half Ryan Sinnamon sent a free-kick in from the left which Craig Halkett rose to head goalwards but was denied by a five save to the keeper’s right. The Queen’s keeper was then sharp to come off his line and save at the feet of Charlie Telfer as he looked to get on to Ryan Sinnamon’s crossfield pass.

Just before the hour some great skill on then left hand byline from Charlie Telfer created space for him to chip across goal where Jamie Burrows got his head to the ball only to see it come back off the crossbar with the keeper beaten. The visitor’s replied five minutes later  with a break on the right side of the box with Liam Kelly saving the shot comfortably.

With around six minutes remaining Queen’s Park broke through the middle to create great chance, with keeper Liam Kelly producing a fantastic save low to his left. The Hampden side sensed an equaliser and Liam Kelly was forced to produce another superb save low to his left this time from a shot from the left side of the box.

With the clock ticking Rangers then made the game safe, Charlie Telfer won the ball in midfield and passed to Scott Lochrie who sent Jamie Burrows clear to continue into the box and fire past the keeper. There was still time for keeper Liam Kelly to display his skills, when a free-kick from the right was missed by forwards and defenders alike, the Rangers keeper reacted brilliantly to turn the ball over the bar.

Full-Time:- Rangers 3 Queen’s Park 1

Rangers:- Liam Kelly; Ryan Sinnamon (Kjeld McIntyre 73mins), Craig Halkett ( Greg Pascazio 65mins), Jordan Wilson, Jamie Mills (Robert McLardie 77mins); Charlie Telfer, Dylan Dykes (Ross Kellock 71mins), Scott Roberts (Scott Lochrie 77mins), Tom Walsh, Danny Stoney (Luke Hammond 75mins); Jamie Burrows.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: