U18’s Battle Through In Youth Cup

Morton 0 Rangers 2

A battling performance saw Rangers Under 18’s progress to the next round of the Youth Cup at Parklea Community Stadium tonight. Lining up against a strong wind their task got more difficult after sixteen minutes when Dapo Mebude was shown a straight red card. They were up against it in the first half but with the wind at their backs they took control after the break to progress comfortably.

Morton had the first attack on five minutes which came into the right side of the penalty area and Lewis Budinauckas was forced to save low to his right. Just after the quarter-hour mark Rangers task became more difficult when Dapo Mebude was show a straight red card. He allowed the frustration of a previous rash challenge and then being denied another free kick to get to him and when he went in late on a Morton defender the referee flashed a red card. Personally I felt it was a wee bit harsh and a yellow card may have been suffice.

The game was close to the half hour mark when a wind assisted thirty yard free-kick was fired straight at Lewis Budinauckas. Rangers had spent most of the half on the back foot but came close to opening the scoring in the final five minutes. Ciaran Dickson’s pass allowed Nathan Patterson to head for the left hand byline and it took a fine save from the home keeper to cut out his low cross. Two minutes later Josh McPake’s layoff saw Ciaran Dickson break into the right side of the box with his shot bouncing of the outside of the near post.

Half-Time:- Morton 0 Rangers 0

With the wind behind them Rangers came out with a purpose at the start of the second half and in the opening minute Josh McPake’s turn and shot on the edge of the box forced the keeper to save low to his left. Josh McPake was in possession on the left a couple of minutes later and when he passed inside Kai Kennedy went past a defender before bringing out another save from the home keeper.

The break through came a couple of minutes before the hour mark, Josh McPake latching onto a forward pass to continue into the box and shoot past the keeper. The home side responded with an attack into the right side of Rangers penalty area, the shot came in from a tight angle which Lewis Budinauckas pushed up in the air before the ball was cleared.

Midway through the half Kai Kennedy and Nathan Patterson combined on the left to tee up Josh McPake on the angle of the box but his shot was just too high. With six minutes remaining a Josh McPake solo effort made the tie safe, receiving a short corner from Kai Kennedy on the left a great piece of skill took him past two defenders and into the box where he side stepped another defender before shooting past the keeper.

Full-Time:- Morton 0 Rangers 2

Rangers:- Lewis Budinauckas; Harris O’Connor, Danny Finlayson, Kyle McLelland, Nathan Patterson; Ben Williamson; Kai Kennedy (Leon King 88 mins), Ciaran Dickson; James Maxwell (Zack Butterworth HT (Joao Balde 59 mins)), Dapo Mebude, Josh McPake.

Not Used:- Brian Kinnear (Gk), Kieran McKechnie, Chris McKee, Matty Yates.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: