Youngsters Take On Newcastle

Rangers 13’s and 14’s took on the academy side from Newcastle United at Auchenhowie this afternoon. As is my norm I take in the game at the oldest age group, in all my years watching football at different levels I don’t think I have seen a game like it.

Rangers 8 Newcastle United 7

Fifteen goals and a host of missed chances from both sides, keepers making great saves, it really was hard to describe. My initial thoughts after the opening ten minutes was “Rangers will be up against it today”, as the first period came to an end I felt Rangers would win comfortably. Then I felt the teams were well matched but Rangers would win as they held a lead, that changed when it looked like Newcastle would overhaul them. When the English side eventually drew level with around two minutes remaining, I felt they had the momentum if there was to be a winner, Rangers scored the last-minute winner.

Newcastle took the lead when their right-winger intercepted Scott Cowie’s clearance and shot over the head of the keeper and into the net. Rangers drew level on sixteen minutes, Zak McKay broke down the right and from his low cross Tyler Pasnik and Gavin Gallagher had shots blocked but when the ball came to the edge of the box Callum Sandilands fired into the roof of the net.

Within a minute Gavin Gallagher sent Tyler Pasnik through the inside left channel with the keeper coming from his line to make the save. Two minutes later Rangers took the lead, Callum Sandilands passed to Tyler Pasnik who forced a save from the keeper, he chased the loose ball to the left hand byline and rolled it across goal to give Gavin Gallagher a tap in.

Gavin Gallagher was the creator of the next chance his pass sending Tyler Pasnik through but was denied by the keeper who saved to his left. At the other end Brodie Kerr was dispossessed inside his own penalty area and it took a superb Ewan Ross challenge to clear the danger.

Rangers immediately broke to the other and scored a third, Zak McKay breaking into the right side of the box, the keeper made the initial save but was helpless as Tyler Pasnik netted the rebound. Newcastle finished the first period on the attack and Scott Cowie had to make a save from their striker when the ball was played into the box. Just before the whistle the right-winger passed inside for their midfielder to score from just inside the box.

First Period:- Rangers 3 Newcastle United 2

In the opening minute of the second period Ricco Diack collected the ball on the right side of the penalty area with the keeper saving his shot at the near post. Two minutes later Tyler Pasnik crossed from the right and Ricco Diack volleyed just over.

The period was five minutes old when Zak McKay broke down the right, when he picked out Tyler Pasnik at the back post he looked certain to score but he knocked the ball wide. Rangers fourth goal seemed inevitable and it came when Ryan Murray and Leyton Dunlop combined to sent up Ricco Diack inside the left side of the box and he shot past the keeper.

Newcastle then had a period of sustained pressure and when the had a chance on the right side of the box Kyle Budinauckas saved to his left. At the midpoint of the period Tyler Pasnik cushioned a layoff to Ricco Diack whose volley found the net off the keeper’s right hand post.

Back to the other end and when Newcastle attacked the right side of Rangers penalty area, Kyle Budiauckas touched the shot on to his right hand post but a Rangers defender trying to complete the clearance knocked the ball into his own net. The Rangers keeper was soon called into action again saving a shot from the edge of the box. The English side scored a fourth with a good move that ended with a sidestep of a defender inside the box before shooting into the net.

Second Period:- Rangers 5 Newcastle United 4

Two minutes into the final period Rangers scored arguably the goal of the game, a superb passing move end with Tyler Pasnik passing to Leyton Dunlop who sent Jamie Newton racing clear and he calmly lobbed the ball over the advancing keeper. Back came Newcastle with a shot from the right side of the box that beat Kyle Budinauckas and bounced off his left hand post.

With ten minutes remaining Rangers scored a seventh, Zak McKay hit the right hand byline and from his cross Leyton Dunlop volleyed against the bar but followed up to fire the loose ball into the net. Newcastle responded and scored three goals in six minutes. The first came when Rangers failed to clear a cross from the right and the ball was fired into the net.

The next goal was created with an attack and cross from the left that was duly converted. A corner was then delivered from the left that went beyond that back post the shot looked net bound till Scott Cowie made the save. In Newcastle’s next attack progress was made along the right hand byline and the cutback fired past Scott Cowie to tie the game at 7-7 !!

With barely a minute remaining Zak McKay attacked down the right and passed inside to Ricco Diack whose shot rebounded off the far post. The ball was played into the penalty area one last time, it was collected by Ricco Diack who fired past the keeper for a dramatic winner.

Full-Time:- Rangers 8 Newcastle United 7

Rangers Squad:- Scott Cowie (Gk), Kyle Budinauckas (Gk), Max Conway, Adam Forrester, Brodie Kerr, Leyton Dunlop, Callum Sandilands, Ewan Ross, Gavin Gallagher, Zak McKay, Tyler Pasnik, Jamie Newton, Ricco Diack, Ryan Murray.

Footnote:- In what must have been a tame affair by comparison the clubs U13’s shared four goals.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: