16’s Win In High Scoring Game

Rangers 6 Morton 4

A second half comeback saw Rangers U16’s record a win against Morton in a high scoring game at Auchenhowie tonight. Trailing by two goals just after the break, four second-half strikes turned the game round.

On five minutes Matty Yates latched on to a long ball to break into the left side of the penalty area, he rounded the keeper but a defender blocked his shot just in front of goal. Six minutes later Ben Williamson fed Ryan Muir inside the right side of the box and his shot was deflected just wide of the far post.

The visitors took the lead just after the quarter-hour mark, in a quick break the ball was played to the left hand angle of the box and the striker cut inside before shooting past Jay Hogarth into the far corner of the net. When the ball was played out to Ben Williamson wide of the left five minutes later there seemed little danger, but a superb striker beat the keeper high at his near post.

Just before the half-hour mark Darren Watterson got to the left hand byline, he looked up and picked out Matty Yates on the edge of the box and his strike had the keeper stretching to tip over. Morton edged in from less than five minutes later, a corner was delivered from the left and headed on to be nodded into the net at the far post.

Their lead on lasted a couple of minutes, when their centre back miscued a header the ball broke to Callum Biggar on the right side of the box and he passed inside for Matty Yates to shoot past the keeper from the edge of the box. Within in minutes Matty Yates capitalised on a slip to break into the right side of the penalty area but on this occasion the keeper made a fine save.

Morton regained the lead on the stroke of half-time, from a good move down the left the ball was centred and moved on to the back post to be fired past Jay Hogarth.

Half-Time:- Rangers 2 Morton 3

Morton increased their lead with the first attack of the second half, it was a mirror image of their third goal. This time it was created down the right with the ball being moved inside before being finished at the back post. Rangers pulled a goal back quickly, the move was started by Euan Deveney breaking forward on the left, he switched play to Callum Biggar on the right side of the penalty area, from his centre Matty Yates was challenged and the ball broke for Cole McKinnon to shoot past the keeper.

Rangers drew level on the hour mark, John Balde headed forward and Matty Yates capitalised on hesitancy between defender and keeper to nip in between them and prod the ball into the net. They then edged in front midway through the half, Ryan Muir made the pass forward for Cole McKinnon to strike early and beat the keeper from around twenty yards.

Another Ryan Muir pass sent Matty Yates through on the right side of the box, but he failed to execute his attempted chip properly and the keeper made a comfortable save. With ten minutes remaining Rangers doubled their lead, Ben Williamson picking out Ryan Muir as he broke into the right side of the box to shoot past the keeper.

The final effort came from the visitors with an attack through the middle, with Jay Hogarth diving to his right to clutch the shot from the edge of the box.

Full-Time:- Rangers 6 Morton 4

Rangers:- Jay Hogarth; Ryan Muir, Ally Monro, Jay Mack, Euan Deveney; Ben Williamson; Tom Henderson (Cole McKinnon 47 mins), John Balde; Callum Biggar (Mark Woods 77 mins), Matty Yates, Darren Watterson (Matthew Henderson 64 mins).

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: