Youths Share Four Goals With Ards

Ards 2 Rangers 2

Rangers Development squad took on Danske Bank Premier League side Ards  in the first of their two games in Northern Ireland at the Bangor Fuels Arena last night. In an entertaining game a share of the spoils was probably a fair result.

The home side took the lead after only four minutes, their seemed little danger when Kyle Cherry was in possession a distance from goal until he unleashed a shot from fully thirty yards that rebounded of the cross-bar straight to Gary Liggett who netted from close range. A similar period had elapsed when Rangers came close to drawing level, the move started with Cammy Palmer who passed to Andy Dallas and his through ball sent Matthew Shiels breaking into the left side of the penalty area but he shot across the face of goal and wide of the far post.

Just after the half-hour mark Myles Beerman took a throw on the left to Ryan Hardie who’s flick gave possession to Matthew Shiels and his effort from around twenty-five yards was only just wide of Aaron Hogg’s right hand post. Five minutes before the break Craig McMillen’s shot from the left hand angle of the box was blocked by Danny Finalyson and follow-up from the rebound forced Kieran Wright to make a decent save at his near post. 

On the stroke of half-time Ards came close when a one-two opened up the Rangers defence on the right side of the box but when the ball flashed across goal there were no takers to convert from close range.

Half-Time:- Ards 1 Rangers 0

Rangers had a let off when the second half was barely two minutes old, Craig McMillen swung in a corner from the right and Gary Ligget’s header looked netbound until Myles Beerman popped up to head from the line. Rangers capitalised by going straight up the other end to draw level, Andy Dallas combined with Matthew Shiels to on the left side of the box and when the ball was rolled across to Ryan Hardie he made no mistake.

Within five minutes the Ibrox youngsters grabbed the lead, a quick break from defence ended with Andy Dallas breaking forward before finding the net from the edge of the box. A few minutes later Jamie Barjonas passed to Ryan Hardie on the right hand angle of the box and his curled shot was only just wide of the far post.

Before the hour mark was reached the home side equalised, the move started of the left and when the ball went beyond the far post Craig McMillen shot through a crowded box and into the net. Craig McMillen came close soon after when he cut in from the right and forced Aidan McAdams to save diving to his left.

The Rangers keeper excelled five minutes later producing a stunning save to turn the ball over from Guillaume Keke’s close range header following a free-kick delivered from the left. Neither side could add to their tally and the game ended on what was probably a fair result.

Ful-Time:- Ards 2 Rangers 2

Rangers:- Kieran Wright; Danny Finlayson, Aidan Wilson, Lewis Mayo, Myles Beerman; Cammy Palmer, Jamie Barjonas; Andy Dallas, Matthew Shiels, Serge Atakayi ; Ryan Hardie.

Subs All Used:- Aidan McAdams (Gk), Grant Nelson, Jack Blackford, Mati Zata, Michael Hewitt, Scott Gray.


Rangers 3 Morton 1

Rangers Under 16’s warmed up for next week’s SuperCup NI (Formerly Milk Cup) with a friendly against a slightly older Morton side at Auchenhowie tonight. 

Rangers had the majority of possession but there was almost a half-hour on the clock before any keeper was troubled and it was a powerful twenty-five yarder from the Trialist No.9 but straight at the keeper. Five minutes later Rangers took the lead, Darren Watterson sent the ball down the left where the Trialist No.9 turned a defender to break in the penalty area before squaring for Matty Yates slot past the keeper.

Half-Time:- Rangers 1 Morton 0

An early free-kick from wide left was the source of Morton’s equaliser early in the second half, delivered to the near post the attacker got there ahead of Jay Hogarth to head into the net. The visitor’s came close to taking the lead a few minutes later the cross  into the box had the Rangers defence in trouble and only a headed goal line clearance from Kyle McClelland kept them level.

Rangers were back in front just after the hour, a superb Kai Kennedy pass picking out Ciaran Dickson’s run into the right side of the box and he controlled the ball before shooting past the keeper. Midway through the half Morton broke into the left side of the box and it took a fine block from Jay Hogarth to prevent a second equaliser.

 The Rangers keeper was called into action again, this time the attack came in from the right and when the shot came in Jay Hogarth did well to divert the ball over. Rangers scored a third with ten minutes remaining, another run into the box from Ciaran Dickson with the keeper diving to his left to parry the shot but only as far as Tom Henderson who slammed the ball into the net.

The final chances came for Morton, the first a volley following a free kick delivered into the box that Jay Hogarth saved. Then in the final minute a cross from the left sailed over the Rangers keeper’s head but bounced of the back post.

Full-Time:- Rangers 3 Morton 1

Rangers:- Lewis Budinauckas; Ryan Muir, Kyle McLelland, Harris O’Connor, Euan Deveney; Mark Miller; Kai Kennedy; Ciaran Dickson; Matty Yates, Trialist No.9, Darren Watterson.

Subs All Used:- Jay Hogarth (Gk), Ally Monro, Aaron Bryosn, Tom Henderson, Robbie Fraser, Callum Biggar.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: