17’s Close With A Defeat

Rangers 1 Celtic 3

Rangers Under 17’s completed their league fixtures with a defeat to Celtic at Murray Park tonight. The result also confirmed Celtic as winners of the Under 17 league.

Celtic came close to opening the scoring on six minutes, when the ball was played into Rangers penalty area, they failed to take a couple of opportunities to clear and when the ball fell to Ewan Henderson his shot came back off the inside of Nicky Hogarth’s right hand post. Rangers replied immediately when Stephen Kelly played the ball out to Zac Butterworth wide on the left, he exchanged passes with Billy Gilmour before shooting just wide of the far post.

Ten minutes had elapsed when Mati Zata’s pass released Matthew Shiels inside the left side of the box but he shot across the keeper and wide of the far post. Ten minutes later a superb spin on the edge of the box freed Matthew Shiels inside the left side of the box but he was denied by the legs of Ryan Mullen.

Five minutes later Rangers took the lead, a good patient passing move ended with Stephen Kelly shooting from the edge of the box, the ball broke off a defender to Matthew Shiels inside the left side of the penalty area and he shot past Ryan Mullen. The lead lasted nine minutes when a slack Stephen Kelly pass gave possession away and the ball was played into  Ciaran Diver who shot past Nicky Hogarth. 

Three minutes before the break Celtic took the lead when Tommy Caffrey curled a shot from the left hand angle of the box over Nicky Hogarth and into the net.

Half-Time:- Rangers 1 Celtic 2

Celtic extended their lead ten minutes after the break, Tommy Caffrey played the ball in from the left, Ciaran Diver miscued his shot but the ball ran to Keiran Campbell who netted from close range. Midway through the half Kerr McInroy curled a free-kick over the defensive wall and the ball came back of Nicky Hogarth’s left hand post. 

As the final quarter-hour approached Kerr McInroy passed to Ewan Henderson who got to the right hand byline his ball into the centre was knocked wide of the far post by Tommy Caffrey. Celtic had another chance with five minutes remaining, Tommy Caffrey was setup for a shot that Nicky Hogarth blocked.

Rangers ended the game on the attack coming close twice in the final minute, Niyah Joseph intercepted an attempted pass by Ryan Mullen but the keeper redeemed himself by turning the striker’s shot wide of his right hand post. When Stephen Kelly fired the ball into the Celtic box it spun of a defender and up in the air, Lewis Mayo was first to the ball and his header forced Ryan Mullen to tip over.

Full-Time:- Rangers 1 Celtic 3

Rangers:- Nicky Hogarth; Michael Hewitt, Danny Finlayson, Lewis Mayo, Scott Gray (Jay Mack 69 mins); Cammy Palmer, Mati Zata (Niyah Joseph 77 mins), Billy Gilmour; Zack Butterworth ( Dapo Mebude 54 mins), Matthew Shiels, Stephen Kelly.

Not Used:- Brian Kinnear (Gk), Nathan Patterson, Gregor Woods.

Celtic:- Ryan Mullen; Max Potter, Stephen Welsh, Robbie Deas, Daniel Church; Kristi Marku ( ??????? 72 mins); Kerr McInroy, Ewan Henderson; Keiran Campbell, Ciaran Diver, Tommy Caffrey ( Dylan Forrest 86 mins).


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: