17’s Hit Five Past ‘Well

Rangers 5 Motherwell 2

Rangers Under 17’s kept their league hopes alive with a comfortable win over Motherwell at Murray Park tonight. Leading by two goals at half-time the result was never in doubt although the visitors put up a spirited second half display.

Rangers took the lead on eleven minutes when Billy Gilmour cut in from the left to the angle of the box and shot across the keeper into the far top corner. Four minutes later Rangers doubled their lead, Stephen Kelly miscued his attempted first time pass from wide left but the ball went to Cammy Palmer thirty yards from goal, he went past two defenders before shooting from the edge of the box, the keeper seemed to have it covered as he dived to his right the ball went under his body and into the net.

Rangers continued to dominate and on twenty minutes Matthew Shiels passed from just outside the left side of the box to Billy Gilmour who’s neat back heel set up a shooting chance for Stephen Kelly which forced a save from the keeper diving to his right. Midway through the half Motherwell attacked on the right and when the ball was played into the box it was deflected to their striker eight yards from goal and it took a superb point-blank save from Brian Kinnear to keep the ball out, a Motherwell player followed up to blaze the loose ball over but he was flagged offside in any case.

On the stroke of half-time Stephen Kelly’s cross from the left picked out Matthew Shiels, but he was stretching to make contact and could only knocked the ball wide of the keeper’s right hand post.

Half-Tme:- Rangers 2 Motherwell

Rangers added to their tally three minutes after the break, Billy Gilmour’s free-kick from close to the left-hand byline found Mati Zata arriving at the back post, the keeper did well to block his close range header but couldn’t prevent him forcing the rebound over the line. The visitor’s responded by puling a goal back before the half was ten minutes old, the attack came down the left and when the header came in Brian Kinnear got a hand the ball but it dropped under the bar and into the net.

Just before the hour Jordan Houston attacked the right side of the box and played a one-two with Billy Gilmour to break into the penalty area but the keeper blocked the shot with his legs. Rangers did restore their two goal advantage a couple of minutes later, from a quick break Andy Dallas outpaced the Motherwell defence down the left, when he got into the box and close to the byline he rolled the ball across goal for Billy Gilmour to knocked it into the net from close range.

With twenty minutes remaining Stephen Kelly shot from the edge of the box that the Motherwell keeper gathered at the second attempt. Motherwell immediately attacked down the right and the cross was headed past Brian Kinnear for the visitor’s second goal. 

Right on the final whistle Andy Dallas played a one -two on the edge of the box to break into the right side of the penalty area, the keeper blocked his initial shot the Rangers striker  was quickest to react and fire the rebound into the net.

Full-Time:- Rangers 5 Motherwell 2

Rangers:- Brian Kinnear; Jordan Houston, Danny Finlayson, Lewis Mayo, Scott Gray; Cammy Palmer; Andy Dallas, Mati Zata (Zac Butterworth 79 mins); Billy Gilmour, Matthew Shiels (Dapo Mebude 79 mins), Stephen Kelly.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: