Weekend Youth Round Up

Rangers 2 Celtic 2

This weekend’s fixture saw Rangers take on Celtic, first up was the U15’s clash at Murray Park. Rangers came close to taking the lead on nine minutes, Kai Kennedy on the left picked out Matty Yates on the far side of the box but he was denied by a superb point-blank save tat the keeper managed to deflect the ball over. Just after the quarter-hour Rangers broke the deadlock, Owen McGinty exchanged passes with Kai Kennedy and when he shot from the edge of the box the keeper dived to his left to parry but Matty Yates followed up to slam the rebound into the net.

Half-Time:- Rangers 1 Celtic 0

Celtic drew level from the penalty spot three minutes into the second half. The attack came into the left side of the penalty area and Ryan Muir’s challenge tripped the attacker and the penalty was converted. Rangers were back in front fifteen minutes later, Simon Millar crossed from the right and Owen McGinty collected at the back post, he hit the byline before crossing  for Ciaran Dickson to net from close range.

Within a couple of minutes Celtic had a chance  from the edge of the box that had Lewis Budinauckas diving high to his right to turn the ball wide. From the resultant corner the Rangers keeper appeared to be impeded as the ball was bundled over the line for a second equaliser.

As the game entered the final quarter-hour Ryan Muir picked out Ciaran Dickson’s run into the penalty area but the keeper was quickly off his line to make the block. Rangers had a chance to win it right at the end, Darren Watterson crossed from the left and when Ton Henderson challenged for the ball inside the penalty area it broke to Ciaran Dickson but again the keeper made a fine block.

Full-Time:- Rangers 2 Celtic 2

Rangers:- Lewis Budinauckas; Ryan Muir (Tom Henderson 79 mins), Ally Monro, Kyle McLelland, Euan Deveney (Darren Watterson 30 Mins); Murray Miller; Kai Kennedy, Ciaran Dickson; Matty Yates (Simon Millar 57 mins), Aaron Bryson (Harry Livesey 69 mins), Owen McGinty.

Celtic 3 Rangers 1

Monday night was the U13’s clash at Lennoxtown.

Celtic had an early chance with a break from halfway that ended inside the right side of Rangers penalty area where Jack McConnell saved at the near post. Rangers first real effort came from a Dire Mebude solo run cutting in from the right but he shot straight at the keeper.

In the dying seconds of the period Celtic took the lead, the attack came down the right and when the ball was crossed into the box it was fired off the far post and into the net. The second period started with another early chance for Celtic braking through the middle but the shot was straight at Jack McConnell.

Celtic increased their lead ten minutes into the final period a ball over the top of the Rangers defence sent their striker through to shoot past Gregor McLeod. Rangers lost possession straight from the kick off and broke through the inside left channel and this occasion Gregor McLeod saved low to his left.

Three minutes after the turn around Rangers reduced the deficit, Darren McInally breaking through the centre and going past the keeper before knocking the ball into the net. Celtic restored their two goal lead within two minutes, the attack came into the right side of the box and when it was played back to the edge of the penalty area the shot went over Gregor McLeod and into the net.

Full-Time:- Celtic 3 Rangers 1

Rangers Squad:- Jack McConnell (Gk), Gregor McLeod (Gk), Kelsey Ewan, Logan Dunachie, Harley Ewan, Leyton Dunlop; Darren McInally, Mackenzie Strachan, Jack Harkness, Dire Mebude, Robbie Ure, Makenzie Kirk, Gavin Gallagher, Alex King, Jack Scanlan

Celtic 2 Rangers 1

The final game of the series was the Under 14’s clash at Lennoxtown on Tuesday.

Rangers took an early lead after only four minutes, Robbie Fraser played the ball up to Cole McKinnon who held of a defender to get in a shot from the edge of the box, the keeper dived to his left to parry but Reegan Aitken followed up to fire the rebound into the net. Celtic replied with an attack on the left side of the penalty area and when the ball was played back to the angle of the box the shot forced Jay Hogarth to save low to his left.

Robbie Fraser immediately attacked the centre of the Celtic defence and when challenged the ball broke to Alex Lowry who’s twenty-five yarder was tipped over. Celtic then replied when a free kick from wide of the right was crossed into the box and bounced off the crossbar.

Rangers had their own free-kick wide on the left and just inside the Celtic half, Robbie Fraser delivered and Cole McKinnon beat the keeper to the ball but his backward header was just wide of the right hand post. Celtic’s response came from a free-kick on the edge of the box that Jay Hogarth saved low to his right. The final effort of the half was a Leon King free-kick from fully thirty yards that the keeper saved low to his right.

Half-Time:- Celtic 0 Rangers 1

The home side had an early chance after the break, the ball was played into the left side of the box and Jay Hogarth did well to block the shot as his near post. A Celtic corner on the right was played to the edge of the box and the shot clipped the left hand post on the way wide. 

Rangers came close to doubling their lead when Robbie Fraser fed Aaron Lyall who’s shot from the edge of the box was turned wide by the keeper diving to his right. In their next attack Celtic equalised, the ball was played into the right side of the box and it was fired across the keeper into the net.

The home side grabbed a later winner with an attack on the left hand byline, Grant Thackray failed to gather the low cross and the striker was left with a tap in. In the final minute a solo run took Celtic deep into the left side of the box only to be denied by a Grant Thackray save at point-blank range.

Full-Time:- Celtic 2 Rangers 1

Rangers Squad:- Jay Hogarth (Gk), Grant Thackray (Gk), Adam Devine, Ben Duncan, Lewis Robertson, Aidan Berry, Leon King, Aaron Lyall, Robbie Fraser, Cole McKinnon, Alex Lowry, Reegan Aitken, Jamie Fowler, Matthew Collins, Evan McSwegan.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: