Weekend Youth Round Up

This weekend’s development fixtures were scheduled to be against Motherwell, but with the Fir Park side cancelling Sunday’s 15’s and 17’s fixtures I was left with Friday night’s 14’s game and a 15’s friendly against Morton on Sunday

Motherwell 2 Rangers 1

Rangers 13’s were left to rue their missed chances in the first period where the should have been a few goals ahead. The home side were the better team in the second period while they pretty much cancelled each other out in the third.

Rangers missed a great chance to open the scoring on seven minutes, the ball was moved from Rhys Caves through Robbie Fraser and out to Ben Duncan wide on the left, his superb cross picked out Cole McKinnon right in front of goal but he headed over. Rangers did make the breakthrough just after the quarter-hour mark, it was a superb individual effort from Reegan Aitken, picking the ball up wide left he waltzed past two defenders and into the box before shooting across the keeper and into the net.

Within sixty seconds Reegan Aitken came close to doubling his tally and Rangers lead, collecting a pass from Ben Duncan wide on the left his effort from around twenty-five yards looked destined for the net until the ‘Well keeper dived high to his left to produce a brilliant save. With five minutes of the period remaining Evan McSwegan, in possession on the left, passed inside to Cole McKinnon who’s shot from distance clipped the bar on the way over.

Rangers next opportunity came when Adam Devine broke forward and passed to Aaron Lyall on the right, he cut inside before shooting and forcing a save from the keeper low to his right. Within a minute Motherwell who hadn’t threatened in the period drew level, the attack came down the right and when the cross arrived at the back post it was headed firmly past Jay Hogarth. There was still time for another Rangers chance before the period break, Adam Devine and Aaron Lyall combined on the right and from the former’s cross Cole McKinnon headed into the side netting at the back post.

The home side missed an early chance in the second period when Jay Hogarth failed to hold a corner from the right and the ball was knocked over from close range. In Motherwell’s next attack they edged ahead, with the Rangers defence struggling to clear a cross from the right the bouncing ball was eventually nodded past Jay Hogarth. Rangers had a chance to draw level, Robbie Fraser passed to Aaron Lyall who attacked the centre of the defence before playing in Matthew Collins inside the left side of the box with the keeper coming from his line to make the block.

With the teams cancelling each other out in the third period goalmouth incidents were at a premium with the best chance falling to the home side just after the turn around. The attack came down the left and a great turn on the edge of the box created space for the shot that Grant Thackray saved low to his left.

Full-Time:- Motherwell 2 Rangers 1

Rangers Squad:- Jay Hogarth (Gk), Grant Thackray (Gk), Adam Devine, Ben Duncan, Rhys Caves, Aidan Berry, Leon King, Aaron Lyall, Robbie Fraser, Evan McSwegan, Cole McKinnon, Reegan Aitken, Alex Lowry, Lewis Robertson, Matthew Collins, Kelsey Ewan.

Rangers 7 Morton 2

Sunday’s trip to Murray Park saw a comfortable win for Rangers 15’s in a friendly against Greenock Morton. 

Rangers took the lead after only two minutes, Owen McGinty firing a free kick over the defensive wall, that the keeper would have been disappointed not to have kept out. He was tested soon after by a Kai Kennedy twenty-five yarder that was powerful enough but straight at the keeper.

The visitor’s keeper had got over his early slip with two saves in as many minutes just after the quarter-hour mark. A Kai Kennedy ball over the top of the Morton defence saw Owen McGinty take a superb touch but the keeper was quick from his line to make the block. Owen McGinty the skipped past a defender and drove deep inside the penalty area with the keeper blocking the shot with his legs at the near post.

The second goal arrived on twenty-three minutes, it was created by a superb Kai Kennedy reverse pass on the left hand angle of the box the put Ciaran Dickson in the clear to knock the ball past the keeper. Within a couple of minutes Owen McGinty’s cut back from the left hand byline was met by Tom Henderson with the keeper parrying and getting his hands back on the ball just as Matty Yates arrived to fire into the net and the goal was correctly disallowed.

Unusually for 15’s the game was played over three periods and just before the end of the first Owen McGinty cracked a twenty-five yarder off the crossbar. Early in the second period Morton reduced the deficit, their attacker breaking through the centre and holding off a defender to shoot past Lewis Budinauckas.

Rangers soon restored their two goal cushion, a short corner from the left saw Owen McGinty, Kai Kennedy and Callum Biggar exchange passes before Owen McGinty crossed for Harry Livesey to head just inside the far post. Number four came less than a minute later, Kai Kennedy on the left passed to Callum Biggar who fed Owen McGinty inside the left side of the box and he showed great skill to beat two defenders and shoot bast the keeper.

Credit to the visitor’s who came back to grab a superb second. The move was created with some neat passing down the left, when the ball came into the edge of the box it was volleyed high past Lewis Budinauckas. Rangers were soon back on the attack and when Kai Kennedy moved the ball forward to Callum Biggar his shot from the edge of the box forced a save from the keeper diving to his left.

The next opportunity came when Owen McGinty picked out Kai Kennedy on the edge of the box with a pass from the left, the ball was played into the right side of the penalty area for Ciaran Dickson who shot at the keeper. In Rangers next attack they scored a fifth, Kyle McClelland’s ball over the top of the Morton defence saw Kai Kennedy take a superb touch before shooting past the keeper.

Kai Kennedy solo run then produced Rangers sixth , cutting across the penalty area from left to right before firing past the keeper. Rangers then scored again early in the final period, Callum Biggar moving the ball forward to Matty Yates who’s twenty-five yarder found the net via the underside of the bar.

Matty Yates then latched on to a slack pass back  but was denied by the keeper with Trialist No. 17 following up only to see his effort cleared from the line by a defender. The final chance came at the other end, a great turn from the Morton attacker created the space for a shot that Lewis Budinauckas saved at his left hand post.

Full-Time:- Rangers 7 Morton 2

Rangers Squad:- Lewis Budinauckas (Gk), Kyle McLelland, Harry Livesey, Murray Miller, Ally Monro, Harris O’Connor, Tom Henderson, Kai Kennedy, Owen McGinty, Ciaran Dickson, Matty Yates, Callum Biggar, Trialist No. 17, Darren Watterson, Trialist No.15, Ryan Muir, Aaron Bryson.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: