Friendly Defeat At Stirling

Stirling University 5 Rangers 2

A diverse Rangers squad that consisted both Tom Walsh and  14-year-old Ciaran Dickson went down to Stirling University at the sports grounds this afternoon. The loss two early goals meant Rangers were chasing the game and the couldn’t quick get back into. On a positive note Rangers second half side included three 15 year olds as well as the afore-mentioned Ciaran Dickson.

The home side took the lead on five minutes, a pass through the Rangers back line on the edge of the box released their striker to shoot past Kieran Wright. Within three minutes the lead was doubled, the attack came into the penalty area on the left and a shot across Kieran Wright found the far corner.

Rangers first attack came from a short corner on the left on eleven minutes, Tom Walsh fed Josh Jeffries who cut in side before forcing a save from the keeper low to his right. Just after the quarter-hour mark Rangers reduced the deficit from the penalty spot, Amin Abaradan was bundled over inside the box and Max Ashmore sent the keeper the wrong way from the spot. 

Almost straight from the kick-off Rangers gave away a third goal, Ursene Mouanda passing straight to the opposition’s striker who beat Kieran Wright with a fine finish from the edge of the box. Rangers Trialist striker had a chance just before the half hour, Josh Jeffries pass freed him inside the right side of the penalty area but he delayed his shot allowing the keeper to advance from his line to make the block.

Ten minutes before the break Michael Hewitt and Tom Walsh combined on the right and from the latter’s cross Amin Abaradan headed just wide of the keeper’s right hand post. On the stroke of half-time Stirling scored again, their centre back rising unchallenged to head a corner from the right past Kieran Wright.

Half-Time:- Stirling University 4 Rangers 1

Right at the beginning of the second half Amin Abaradan picked up the ball twenty-five yards out and left of centre with his effort going narrowly past the keeper’s left hand post. Amin Abaradan was again involved a few minutes later, laying the ball back into the path of Max Ashmore who shot just wide of the far post.

Rangers grabbed a second goal their play deserved ten minutes after the break, Tom Walsh was the creator on the left and his cross was converted by Trialist (9) from close range. A minute later Michael Hewitt passed to Tom Walsh wide on the left, he cut inside and his shot deflected off a defender and struck the crossbar with the keeper beaten.

Midway through the half Amin Abaradan passed to Tom Walsh out on the left and from his cross Gregor Woods volleyed just wide of the keeper’s left hand post. The home side then threatened with an attack down the right when the ball was passed inside the shot was saved by Nicky Hogarth. With ten minutes remaining some good play on the right hand byline and a great cross setup Stirling’s fifth with the ball headed past Nicky Hogarth at the back post.

Rangers final chance came when Gregor Woods passed to Josh Jeffries who’s twenty-five yard effort was saved by the keeper diving to the left.

Full-Time:- Stirling University 5 Rangers 2

Rangers Squad:- Kieran Wright (Gk), Nicky Hogarth (Gk), Michael Hewitt, Kyle Bradley, Lewis White, Max Ashmore, Ursene Mouanda, Jordan Gibson, Tom Walsh, Josh Jeffries, Trialist (9), Amin Abaradan, Ciaran Dickson, Jay Mack, Gregor Woods.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: