Youths Double Header

Today’s youth football fix was the 15’s and 17’s double-header at Murray Park, it was a mixed day with the 17’s winning comfortably while the 15’s had an off day going down to Ayr United after performing well in recent weeks.

Rangers 1 Ayr United 3

First up was the under 15’s clash in the morning, despite controlling the first half Rangers never looked like adding to their sixteenth minute opener. When Ayr hit them with a two goal burst early in the second half they grew in confidence and ran out comfortable winners.

Rangers opened the scoring on sixteen minutes, Murray Miller skipped past a defender on the right hand byline and when he cut the ball back Harry Livesey produced a neat piece of skill to turn a defender and shot past the keeper.

Half-Time:- Rangers 1 Ayr United 0

Ayr got back on level terms five minutes after the break, a long ball allowed Ayr to break into the right side of the penalty area, Lewis Budinauckas stood up to make a save from the initial shot but was left helpless when the rebound was fired into the net. Four minutes later the visitors were in front, a corner from the left eventually fell for an Ayr attacker to shoot through a crowded six yard box and into the net.

Rangers were struggling to threaten the Ayr goal but as the final quarter-hour approached Murray Miller tested the keeper with a shot from the edge of the box that he saved low to his right. Ayr made the game safe in their next attack, it came down the left and when Rangers failed to clear the cross into the box the ball was fired past Lewis Budinauckas.

In the final minute Kyle McLelland passed inside from the right to Harris O’Connor who’s thirty yarder came back off the Ayr crossbar.

Full-Time:- Rangers 1 Ayr United 3

Rangers Squad:- Lewis Budinauckas; Ally Monro, Harris O’Connor, Harry Livesey, Euan Deveney; Kyle McLelland; Callum Biggar, Murray Miller; Ryan Muir, Matty Yates, Darren Waterston; Mark Woods.

Rangers 6 Ayr United 0

Rangers came close to opening the scoring on seven minutes, Billy Gilmour and Jordan Houston combined on the right and from the latter’s cross Jack Adamson miscued his close range header and the ball bounced into the keeper’s arms. Within sixty seconds the same combination on the right produced a cross towards the back post that Dapo Mebude headed straight at the keeper.

A further minute had barely passed when Rangers opened the scoring, this time the attack came on the left side of the penalty area, the visitor’s keeper parried Jack Adamson’s shot but Cammy Palmer pounced to nod the rebound into the net. Rangers doubled their lead in their next attack in the twelfth minute, Jordan Houston powered down the right and his low cross was met by Dapo Mebude who netted from close range.

Rangers came close again just over five minutes later, Jack Adamson crossed from the left and from Matthew Shiels header the keeper saved high to his right. On twenty-five minutes Cammy Palmer broke forward  and exchanged passes with Dapo Mebude on the edge of the box but was denied when the keeper blocked his shot with his legs.

A third goal was only a matter of a minute away, a free kick from midway inside Ayr’s half was sent towards the left had post where Rhys Breen headed back across goal and Jack Adamson stooped to nod the ball into the net.

Half-Time:- Rangers 3 Ayr United 0

It only took Rangers three minutes of the second half to add to their tally, Matthew Shiels and Carlo Pignatiello carved through the centre of the Ayr defence exchanging a series of passes for the former to net from close range. Rangers fifth goal came less than five minutes later, Zac Butterworth and Billy Gilmour combined on the left before the ball was passed inside to Cammy Palmer, he returned the ball to Billy Gilmour who’s shot was parried by the keeper but he followed up to net the rebound.

Ayr had shown nothing in an attacking sense but as the midpoint of the half approached they got a shot on target from a free kick just outside the penalty area that Brian Kinnear got down to his left to save comfortably. Rangers replied by scoring a sixth, Scott Gray dug out a superb cross from close to the left had corner flag and Mati Zata rose to nod into the net.

Rangers continued to create chances with the Ayr keeper putting up stiff resistance, Danny Finalyson broke forward and passed to Zac Butterworth who’s through ball setup Owen McGinty inside the right side of the box with the keeper saving his effort. He was called into action again when Mati Zata cut the ball back from the left hand byline to Billy Gilmour with the keeper saving.

In the final five minutes Billy Gilmour sent Mati Zata through the inside left channel, he went past the advancing keeper but a defender got back to head his shot clear from an open goal. The final effort came when Carlo Pignatiello played a one-two with Owen McGinty on the right side of the penalty area before forcing the keeper into another save.

Full-Time:- Rangers 6 Ayr United 0

Brian Kinnear; Jordan Houston (Michael Hewitt 58 mins), Danny Finlayson, Rhys Breen (Carlo Pignatiello HT), Scott Gray; Jack Thomson; Billy Gilmour, Cammy Palmer; Matthew Shiels (Owen McGinty 58 mins), Dapo Mebude (Mati Zata HT), Jack Adamson (Zac Butterworth HT)

Not Used:- Nicky Hogarth (Gk), Nathan Patterson.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: