Late Blitz From 17’s

Rangers 6 Dundee United 1

Four goals in the last fifteen minutes saw Rangers 17’s replicate yesterday’s 15’s score and the late goal burst put a fairer reflection on the scoreline in a game Rangers dominated.

There was barely two minutes on the clock when Rangers took the lead, Billy Gilmour swung in a corner from the left and Dapo Mebude finished with a simple header. Six minutes later Dapo Mebude played the ball into the box from the right and when it was cleared from the penalty area Stephen Kelly’s shot forced a save from the keeper low to his left.

On twelve minutes it was again Dapo Mebude who setup the shooting chance, this time passing inside to Billy Gilmour from the left who brought out a save from the keeper diving to his right. Within sixty seconds Rangers doubled their lead, Jordan Houston played the ball forward to Billy Gilmour, his short pass allowed Carlo Pignatiello to take on and beat a defender as he broke into the box to shoot past the keeper.

A couple of minutes later Stephen Kelly delivered a free kick from right of centre to the back post  where Billy Gilmour rose but could only head straight at the keeper. Rangers continued to dominate for the rest of the half but without creating anything clear-cut.

Half-Time:- Rangers 2 Dundee United 0

Rangers made two changes at the break with Lewis Muir taking over between the sticks and Lewis Mayo making his long-awaited return from injury. Just before the hour mark Rangers moved the ball from close to the left hand corner flag through Dapo Mebude, Josh McPake and Carlo Pignatiello to Stephen Kelly on the edge of the penalty area just right of centre, his shot saw the United keeper dive to his left to tip over. The next attack came when a Dapo Mebude pass sent Zack Butterworth attacking down the right, he continued into the box and forced a save from the keeper at his near post.

United had carried little threat up till now but from an attack down the left on sixty-five minutes their attacker unleashed an unstoppable thirty yarder across Lewis Muir and into the far top corner. Rangers then created a few chances around the 75th minute mark, Scott Gray passed to Mati Zata on the left, he cut inside and played a one-two with Zack Butterworth which left him clear inside the box but was denied when the keeper made a block.

Josh McPake immediately gained possession and went past a defender as he attacked the left side of the penalty area but was denied when the keeper saved at the near post. In Rangers next attack Dapo Mebude broke down the right from the halfway line, he picked out Zack Butterworth inside the box who beat the keeper with a cool finish.

With seven minutes remaining Dundee United failed to clear a Carlo Pignatiello corner from the right and it eventually fell for Mati Zata to prod the ball past the keeper from close range. Rangers added two further goals in the final five minutes, Stephen Kelly passed to Josh McPake on the right side of the penalty area, he went past a defender before shooting high past the keeper. The scoring was completed when Mati Zata passed inside from the left  Zack Butterwoth who sent Carlo Pignatiello clear to shoot past the keeper.

Full-Time:-Rangers 6 Dundee United 1

Rangers:- Brian Kinnear (Lewis Muir HT); Jordan Houston, Jay Mack (Michael Hewitt 50 mins), Danny Finlayson (Lewis Mayo HT), Scott Gray; Stephen Kelly; Billy Gilmour (Mati Zata 63 mins), Carlo Pignatiello; Zack Butterworth, Dapo Mebude, Matthew Shiels (Josh McPake 54 mins).


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: