17’s Hit Injury Time Winner

Queen’s Park 1 Rangers 2

It took an injury time strike from Dapo Mebude to secure the points in Rangers opening Glasgow Cup sectional tie at Lesser Hampden tonight. Although they had the bulk of possession it was an unconvincing performance and they grabbed a winner in the second minute of injury time.

Yet they started well enough and came close twice in the opening three minutes. Stephen Kelly’s pass inside Cameron Dickson picked out the run of Matthew Shiels who burst into the right side of the penalty area and was denied when Lewis Sanderson came off his line to save at close range. Within a minute Stephen Kelly cut in from the right before passing to Billy Gilmour who’s thirty yarder had Lewis Sanderson stretching to push the ball over.

Midway through the half Rangers moved the ball from right to left from Aiden Gibb through Mati Zata to Stephen Kelly, he picked out Zak Rudden inside the left side of the penalty area with Lewis Sanderson saving at the near post. 

As the final ten minutes of the half approached another pass inside Cameron Dickson, this time from Zak Rudden again picked out the run of Matthew Shiels, he continued into the box before shooting across goal and wide of the far post.

Half-Time:- Queen’s Park 0 Rangers 0

Rangers took the lead three minutes after the break from the penalty spot, Mati Zata was tripped as he broke into the right side of the penalty area and Jordan Houston stepped up to convert from the spot. Queen’s had shown little in an attacking sense but as the hour mark approached it took a brilliant Brian Kinnear save to keep Rangers lead intact. Aaron Mooney cut in from the left hand angle of the box before shooting for goal with the Rangers keeper diving full length to his left to turn the ball wide.

The equaliser did come around fifteen minutes later, an attack into the right side of Rangers box was halted by a foul and Ronan McLaughlin converted from the spot. With seven minutes remianing Rangers were caught over playing on the edge of their own penalty area and when the ball landed at the feet of Jordan Critchley on the edge of the box his shot was only just wide of Brian Kinnear’s left hand post.

With a share of the points looking likely as the game entered injury time, Zak Rudden played the ball forward, Billy Gilmour on the edge of the box nodded the ball into the path of Dapo Mebude who shot past Lewis Sanderson from just inside the penalty area.

Full-Time:- Queen’s Park 1 Rangers 2

Queen’s Park:- Lewis Sanderson, Luke McColl, Cameron Dickson, Lewis Magee, Tony McGuire, Declan Walsh, Jordon Critchley, James Grant, Kieran Robb, Ronan McLaughlin, Aaron Mooney.

Substitutes:- Aaron Black, Kyle Docherty, Aiden McEwan, David Duffy. Joe Fraser, Nick McAlistair, Ross Gibson.

Rangers:- Brian Kinnear; Aiden Gibb ( Zack  Butterworth HT), Jordan Houston, Danny Finlayson, Scott Gray (Dapo Mebude 61 mins); Cammy Palmer, Mati Zata (Jay Mack 75 mins), Billy Gilmour; Matthew Shiels, Zak Rudden, Stephen Kelly.

Not Used:- Lewis Muir (Gk), Michael Hewitt, Carlo Pignatiello.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: