Youth Round Up

Today’s youth football fix was a 17’s game in the morning at Murray Park then over to Lochinch for a 14’s game in the afternoon. 

Rangers 2 Partick Thistle 2

Rangers opted to go ahead with this weekend’s fixture despite several of the squad in Holland playing in an U19 tournament. With a few others out injured it was a young 17’s side that took the field. They were to rue a series of missed chances and it took a last-minute goal to secure the draw.

Rangers were on top in the early stages without really creating anything clear-cut and there was nineteen minutes on the clock when they opened the scoring with the first real chance. A good passing move saw the ball move between Jordan Houston, Cammy Palmer and Billy Gilmour before it sent out to Zac Butterworth wide on the right, his cross picked out Dapo Mebude at the back post who headed past the keeper. Just before the half-hour Cammy Palmer exchanged passes with Billy Gilmour before shooting for goal that had the keeper stretching to tip over.

The next chance came when Jordan Houston won the ball just inside his own half, he powered forward and cut into the box with his shot forcing the keeper to turn the ball wide of far post. Three minutes before the break Carlo Pignatiello sent Dapo Mebude down the left, a superb piece of skill took him past a defender and into the box, his shot was parried by the keeper low to his left before being cleared by a defender.

Half-Time:- Rangers 1 Partick Thistle 0

Thistle who hadn’t been seen as an attacking force drew level eight minutes after the break,  a free kick just outside the left side of the penalty area was passed inside and the shot sneaked in at Lewis Muir’s left hand post. Rangers responded immediately with Jordan Houston breaking into the left side of the box and forcing the keeper to tip wide of the far post.

Within in a minute Cammy Palmer cut in from the right and past two defenders before shooting and again the keeper got down to his left to make the save. Rangers then had a great chance to take the lead as the final quarter-hour approached, Cammy Palmer played the ball up to the edge of the box and Billy Gilmour’s flick sent Mati Zata one-on-one with the keeper, the keeper stood tall to block the midfielders shot and make the save.

The visitor’s punished Rangers by going straight up the other end and taking the lead with a drive from fully thirty yards and just right of centre across Lewis Muir and into the top corner. Just when it looked like Thistle would hold on for the win Josh McPake combined with Jordan Houston on the left side of the box and fired a shot past the keeper.

Full-Time:- Rangers 2 Partick Thistle 2

Rangers:- Lewis Muir; Michael Hewitt (Jay Mack 62 mins), Aiden Gibb, Danny Finlayson, Jordan Houston; Cammy Palmer; Mati Zata, Billy Gilmour; Zac Butterworth (Josh McPake 67 mins), Dapo Mebude, Carlo Pignatiello ( Lewis McGrattan 80 mins).

Not Used:- Brian Kinnear (Gk), Ben Williamson, Niyah Joseph.

Partick Thistle 1 Rangers 1

The afternoon’s 14’s game followed a similar pattern with Rangers having the bulk of possession but failing to make the break though and only drawing level from a late penalty.

A Robbie Fraser pass in the opening minute picked out Lewis Robertson’s run into the the box and he was only denied by the outstretched leg of the Thistle keeper. On the ten minute mark Matthew Henderson strode forward from left-back and was unfortunate to see his strike come back off the crossbar.

The next chance came from a Lewis Robertson pass inside the right back that found Reegan Aitken with the keeper saving his shot at his near post. Thistle’s first chance came five minutes before the end of the period when a ball hooked over the head of an attacker on the left side of the box was headed goalwards and clipped the outside of Jack McConnell’s right hand post.The period ended with an Aaron Lyall shot from the edge of the box that the keeper saved low to his right.

Rangers next chance came when  Robbie Fraser attacked on the left and his low cross picked out Matthew Collins, but he miscued his shot and the keeper saved comfortably. The home side took the lead with an attack on the left and when the ball was played into the box the shot was fired past Gregor McLeod.

A long Leon King pass picked out Matthew Collins breaking into the right side of the box but he shot across goal and wide of the far post. Thistle then came close to doubling their lead, a long-range shot came of the underside of the crossbar and only a brilliant Leon King challenge prevented the rebound being knocked into the net.

Rangers then drew level from the penalty spot, Alex Lowry was tripped as he broke into the penalty area from the right hand angle with Robbie Fraser converting the spotkick.

Full-Time:- Partick Thistle 1 Rangers 1

Rangers Squad:- Jack McConnell (Gk), Gregor McLeod (Gk), Rhys Caves, Matthew Henderson, Greg Chalmers, Aiden Berry, Leon King, Alex Lowry, Lewis Robertson, Aaron Lyall, Robbie Fraser, Reegan Aitken, Matthew Collins, Lorenzo Giovanazzi, Trialist (15).

Footnote:- In the earlier game at Lochinch Rangers Under 13’s put sixteen goals past Thistle without reply.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: