Under 20’s Poor Run Continues

Motherwell 1 Rangers 0

Rangers Under 20’s slipped to their fifth consecutive competitive defeat this afternoon against Motherwell at the Excelsior Stadium as their poor run of form continues. The game was decided from the penalty spot just after the hour mark with what was Motherwell’s only real chance of the match. Rangers had been a bit better and had missed a couple of good opportunities to take the lead.

Rangers passed up a great opportunity to open the scoring in the sixth minute, Meki Leacock-McLeod robbed Luke Watt wide on the left, he passed to Ryan Hardie inside the box, who elected to move the ball on to Dylan Dykes who in turn passed to Josh Jeffries unmarked inside the right side of the penalty area but his dragged his shot wide of the near post. Rangers again came close on eighteen minutes and this occasion they were unfortunate not to find the net. Dylan Dykes found Ryan Hardie inside the right side of the penalty area and continued his run to receive the return pass but his shot came back off PJ Morrison’s left hand post with Josh Jeffries firing the rebound narrowly over.

A couple of minutes later Josh Thompson was in possession just outside the Motherwell box and when challenged the ball broke to Ryan Hardie inside the right hand side of the penalty area, he tried to curl a shot over the keeper but PJ Morrison saved comfortably.

Half-Time:- Motherwell 0 Rangers 0

Rangers passed up another great chance on the hour mark when David Brownlie lost his marker to get on the end of Jordan Thonpson’s free-kick from the left but headed over. Within two minutes Motherwell capitalised on the let off by taking the lead, Jake Hastie took on David Brownlie on the left and as they entered the penalty area he was brought down by the Rangers defender and the referee pointed to the spot with Ross McLean stepping up to convert.

When the ball broke to Ross McLean on the edge of the Rangers box  a few minutes later it presented a shooting opportunity that Robbie McCrorie saved comfortably low to his right. With four minutes remaining Ross McCrorie sustained a head knock and with all three substitutes already used Rangers played out the game with ten men.

Rangers had one final chance to draw level, Jordan Thompson’s long ball broke of Luke Watt to Ryan Hardie on just outside the box, his reverse pass released Scott Roberts inside the right side of the area but PJ Morrison stood up to knock the ball behind for a corner. The final significant act of the game saw Ross McLean impede Ross Lyon as he broke forward. Having already been booked for a foul on Mekhi Leacock-McLeod the referee showed him a second yellow and a subsequent red card.

Full-Time:-Motherwell 1 Rangers 0

Motherwell:- PJ Morrison; Jack McMillan, Barry Maguire, Luke Watt, Adam Livingston; Allan Campbell; Ross McLean, David Turnball, Robbie Leitch, Jake Hastie; Dylan Falconer (James Scott 83 mins).

Not Used:- Brett Long (Gk), Josh Moore, ????? Guthrie, ????? Leighton.

Rangers:- Robbie McCrorie (Gk), Ryan Sinnamon, David Brownlie, Ross McCrorie, Lewis White; Max Ashmore (Ross Lyon 73 mins); Dylan Dykes, Jordan Thompson, Mekhi Leacock-McLeod (Scott Roberts 60 mins), Ryan Hardie, Josh Jeffries (Jordan Gibson 68 mins).

Not Used:- Kieran Wright (Gk), Jamie Brandon, Rory Currie, Tom Lang.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: