Poor Week For 17’s

Rangers 2 Partick Thistle 3

Following from last week’s 4-1 loss to Queen’s Park in a Glasgow Cup Sectional tie Rangers 17’s lost to a Partick Thistle side against who they had scored twelve goals without reply in the two previous meetings this season.

Rangers were having the bulk of possession but there was twenty minutes on the clock before the first real opportunity, a Jamie Bajonas pass sending Sam Jamieson through on the right side of the penalty area with the keeper saving at his near post at the expense of a corner. Just after the hour another Jamie Barjonas pass created a chance on the right side of the penalty area, this time for Zak Rudden but again the Thistle keeper made the save.

Within a couple of minutes a Zak Rudden pass on the left edge of the box picked out Kyle Bradley breaking into the box, he shot across the keeper but wide of the far post. Within a minute Sam Jamieson was through on the left side of the box and the visitor’s keeper stood up to make the block.

Five minutes before the break Thistle hit Rangers with a sucker punch, they progressed to the byline on the right and the cross saw a near post header planted past Kieran Wright.

Half-Time:- Rangers 0 Partick Thistle 1

Against expectations it was Thistle that had the lightning start to the second half, scoring twice in the eight and ninth minutes. The first came from an attack on the right where a one-two opened up the Rangers defence and the ball was fired past Kieran Wright. A minute later their winger got to the byline on the left and his low cross was converted at close range.

On the hour mark another Thistle attack on the left side of the box forced a save from Kieran Wright low to his left with Jack Thomson well placed to knock the ball behind for a corner. Rangers were not really threatening and there was only eleven minutes left when the eventually pulled a goal back. A long ball sent Zak Rudden down the right and from his cross Andy Dallas bulleted a header past the keeper.

With the clock ticking to the eighty-seven minutes Jack Thomson worked along the eighteen yard line from right to left before threading a pass through to Matthew Shiels who poked the ball past the keeper, the ball rebounded of the inside of the far post and rolled along the line back to the Rangers sub who squared for Zak Rudden to knock the ball into the net. As the game entered in jury time a good run from Matthew Shiels created a shooting chance on the left side of the box from which the keeper seemed to make a more spectacular save than was necessary.

Full-Time:- Rangers 2 Partick Thistle 3

Rangers:- Kieran Wright; Jordan Houston (Scott Gray 60 mins), Jason Krones, Aidan Wilson, Kyle Bradley; Jack Thomson; Jamie Barjonas, Stephen Kelly (Kieran Balfour 59 mins); Sam Jamieson (Andy Dallas HT), Zak Rudden, Rory Currie (Matthew Shiels HT).

Not Used:- Lewis Muir (Gk), Lewis Mayo.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: