Narrow Win For Under 20’s

Partick Thistle 0 Rangers 1

Ryan Hardie’s second-half goal was enough to give Rangers Development side the three points at Excelsior Stadium last night. The young Rangers side had the bulk of the chances but with the game goalless the result could have gone either way.

Tom Walsh was the creator of the first chance in the tenth minute when his ball over the top of the Thistle defence sent Ryan Hardie in the clear, he continued into the right side of the penalty area but shot across goal and narrowly wide of the far post. Two minutes later Jordan Thompson attacked the Thistle box before playing the ball out to Scott Roberts wide on the left, he took on Matthew McInally and headed towards the byline before picking out Gai Assulin inside the box and took a great block from a Thistle defender to deflect his shot over.

Thistle’s best chance of the half came a couple of minutes after the half-hour mark, James Penrice breaking forward and into the left side of Rangers penalty area before shooting across goal and wide of the far post.

Half-Time:- Partick Thiste 0 Rangers 0

Rangers had an early chance a few minutes after the break, Scott Roberts went past a defender on the left hand byline before going for goal from a very tight angle and forcing Marc Waters to block the shot at his near post with his legs. Thistle replied with an attack down the left from Kevin Nisbet, his cross found Declan McDaid arriving at the back post and Robbie McCrorie managed to force his effort behind for a corner.

As the game entered the final half-hour Jordan Thompson broke forward before playing a one-two with Ryan Hardie and breaking into the right side of the box only to be denied when Marc Waters blocked the shot with his legs at the near post. The breakthrough came in the seventy-second minute, from a quick free-kick inside their own half Fraser Aird set off on a break deep into the Thistle half, he passed to Ryan Hardie just inside the box, he turned past a defender before slotting the ball past Marc Waters.

As the game entered the final quarter-hour the Thistle defence failed to clear Jordan Thompson’s corner from the left and the ball eventually broke to Ross McCrorie inside the box and Marc Waters had to be alert to make the save. The keeper was tested again two minutes later, getting down to his left to save Max Ashmore’s thirty yarder.

Within a minute a throw-in on the left just outside the Thistle box created a shooting chance for Jordan Thompson that again forced a decent save from Marc Waters. With five minutes remaining Thistle missed a great opportunity to square the game, a cross from the left found Kevin Nisbet arriving at the far post but the striker volleyed over. The final chance came when Jordan Thompson drove into the left side of the box and the ball broke for Ryan Hardie, although he didn’t quite connect with his shot it did force Marc Waters to parry before gathering the ball among a pile of bodies.

Full-Time:- Partick Thistle 0 Rangers 1

Partick Thistle:- Marc Waters; Matthew McInally, Scot Whiteside, Michael McMullin, James Penrice; David Wilson, Jordan Leyden; Declan McDaid, Dominic Docherty, Mark Lamont (Neil Mcaughlin 77 mins); Kevin Nisbet.

Not Used:- Connor Culllen (Gk), Edin Lynch, Ethan Docherty, Callum Wilson, Anthony Eadie.

Rangers:- Robbie McCrorie; Fraser Aird, David Brownlie ( Craig Halkett 74mins), Ross McCrorie, Jamie Mills; Jordan Thompson; Ross Lyon (Dylan Dykes 74mins), Gai Assulin (Max Ashmore 74mins); Tom Walsh, Ryan Hardie, Scott Roberts.

Not Used:- Lewis Muir (Gk), Josh Jeffries, Jamie Brandon, Ross King.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: