Friendly Win For 16’s

Rangers 3 Motherwell 0

Rangers took on Motherwell in an under 16 friendly at Murray Park last night, the Rangers squad was made up of a mix of 15’s and 16’s. The Ibrox youngsters ran out comfortable winners with the quality of the goals again being the highlight.

The early exchanges were fairly even and it was midway through the half before either goalkeeper was seriously tested, Stephen Kelly crossed from the right and the ‘Well keeper reacted to keep out Matthew Shiels header and was up on his feet to block Dapo Mebude’s close range effort from the rebound. Just after the half-hour Danny Finlayson’s long pass found the overlapping Michael Hewitt breaking into the right side of the penalty area but his shot went across goal and wide of the far post.

The opening goal came a few minutes later, when Dapo Mebude played the ball back to Stephen Kelly the midfielder’s superb twenty-five yard strike gave the keeper no chance. Rangers doubled their lead four minutes before the break, when Dapo Mebude was played through the inside right channel he held off a defender as he broke into the box to beat the keeper at his near post with a tidy finish.

Half-Time:- Rangers 2 Motherwell 0

Like the first period chances were limited in the early stages after the break, there was twenty minutes gone when Stephen Kelly broke down the right and found Billy Gilmour inside the box with a great pass, the Motherwell keeper saving the substitute’s shot and his defence scrambled the ball clear. Just after the half-hour mark of the half Stephen Kelly played the ball forward to Carlo Pignatiello who advanced to the edge of the box before shooting narrowly over.

Motherwell were always in the game without really troubling the Rangers keeper until twelve minutes to go, a free-kick from wide left broke to an attacker on the left side of the six yard box with Lewis Muir standing up to block the shot at his near post. In the visitor’s next attack which came down left, a flick at the near post beat Lewis Muir but the ball came back off the under side of the bar.

Rangers responded by scoring a third with a couple of minutes remaining, Dapo Mebude won the ball midway inside the Motherwell half left of centre, he attacked the penalty area before chipping the ball over the defence to find Kieran McKechnie arriving on the right side of the box, he took a touch before firing across the keeper into the far corner. There was still time for Rangers to come close to a fourth, Michael Hewitt breaking down the right, his cross was headed past the keeper by Dapo Mebude but a defender got back to clear before the ball crossed the line.

Full-Time:- Rangers 3 Motherwell 0

Rangers:- Jack Livesly (Lewis Muir 68mins); Michael Hewitt, Danny Finlayson, Jamie Walker (Kieran McKechnie 68mins), Scott Blacklaw (Billy Gilmour HT); Carlo Pignatiello; Mati Zata, Cammy Palmer (Josh McPake 68mins); Stephen Kelly, Dapo Mebude, Matthew Shiels


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: