Accies Double Header

Sunday saw Rangers youngsters take on Hamilton Accies in a double header at Murray Park, with the 17’s kicking off in the morning and the under 13’s starting in the early afternoon.

Rangers 3 Hamilton Accies 2

This morning’s Under 17’s game was the proverbial games of two halves, with the visitors being the dominant team in the first period and Rangers having the upper hand after the break, culminating in an injury time winner. Accies took the lead on five minutes opening up Rangers on the left side of the box and allowing their player time and space to shoot past Robbie McCrorie. The visitors passing game saw them continue to have the better of the play although neither side seriously threatened to score until Hamilton were awarded a penalty on twenty-seven minutes. Kyle Bradley’s robust challenge on the right hand angle of the box saw the referee point to the spot and it was duly converted to give the visitor’s a two goal lead at the break.

Half-Time:- Rangers 0 Hamilton Accies 2

A couple of half-time substitutions saw a Rangers side with a different attitude start the second half and within a minute only a fine save prevented them from reducing the deficit. Grant Nelson’s pass from the right hand byline picked out Liam Burt arriving on the edge of the box with the Accies keeper doing well to turn the ball over the crossbar. Within a few minutes Ross Lyon cut in from the left, his run taking him past two defenders before shooting just wide of the keeper’s right hand post.

The turning point in the game came on fifty-six minutes when Hamilton were reduced to ten men, it appeared to a be straight red card shown for dissent. Within four minutes of the red card Rangers had pulled a goal back, a powerful run from Jack Thomson opened up the left side of the Accies box, when the ball was played to Liam Burt inside the box he appeared to be bundled over but regained his balance and composure to prod the ball past the keeper from close range. Rangers were now dominating but appeared to be trying the wee bit too hard, with passes being a bit too strong and shots rushed with Accies defending comfortably.

Just when it appeared the visitor’s would hold out Rangers equalised with two minutes remaining, Jamie Barjonas took possession from a throw in on the right, a superb turn took him away from a defender and his pass released Grant Nelson on the right side of the box to shoot under the keeper. Deep into injury time Rangers snatched what for long spells looked an unlikely winner, Jamie Barjonas attacked the left side of the Accies box and passed to Ross Lyon inside the box, he held the ball up before laying back into the path of Kyle Clark who found the keeper’s bottom left hand corner of the net.

Full-Time:- Rangers 3 Hamilton Accies 2

Rangers:- Robbie McCrorie; Aidan Wilson, Jason Krones, Kyle Bradley (Andy Dallas 84mins), Lewis White (Jamie Brandon HT); Josh Jeffries ( Grant Nelson HT), Jack Thomson, Max Ashmore (Kyle Clark 80mins), Ross Lyon; Liam Burt; Sam Jamieson (Jamie Barjonas 55mins).

Not Used:- Lewis McMinn(Gk), Kieran Balfour.

Rangers 5 Hamilton Accies 2

The afternoon saw Rangers under 13’s record a comfortable win, with three under 12’s promoted for the day making a significant contribution. Accies had a great opportunity to take the lead just before the quarter hour mark, their player breaking through the inside left channel, he was denied when Luke Scullion came from his line to make a fine save. Rangers replied with an attack carved out on the left, Matty Yates playing a one-two with Jason Campbell then forcing the keeper to turn the ball wide of his near post. Kai Kennedy swung over the resultant corner from the left and Josh Henderson dominated in the air to head past the keeper.

Within a few minutes Rangers had doubled their lead, when the Accies defence cleared the ball from their penalty area Ciaran Dickson sent an unstoppable shot high past the keeper. Within a minute Jason Campbell was through inside the box and the Hamilton keeper did well to come from his line to divert the ball wide. The final chance of the opening period came when Steven Bradley’s run took him past two defender and deep into the box, the Accies keeper stood tall to make a fine block.

Midway through the second period Rangers scored a third that was created and executed by the promoted younger players, the pass was made by Robbie Fraser sending Reegan Aitken through the inside right channel and he finished with a superb lob over the advancing keeper. The visitors tried to reply and with a chance at the edge of the box  which forced Luke Scullion to dive to his left to make the save.

Rangers were soon back on the attack and the fourth goal soon followed from the penalty spot, Kai Kennedy’s pass sent Matty Yates through and he was impeded as he rounded the keeper, he stepped up to find the net via the inside of the keeper’s right hand post. At this point Rangers were looking likely to add to their lead, the next chance saw Reegan Aitken’s pass send Kai Kennedy through with the keeper coming out to make a fine save.

Reegan Aitken then sent Robbie Fraser breaking down the right, his pass inside found Kai Kennedy breaking into the box and his shot brought out a save from the Accies keeper low to his right. At the start of the final period Hamilton broke through the centre of the Rangers defence, Josh Henderson got back and his challenge was enough to allow Lewis Budinauckas to save low to his right.

Within a minute a thunderous drive from the left hand angle of the box had Lewis Budinauckas beaten as the ball rebounded back from the crossbar. At the other end Steven Bradley in possession on the edge of the box, just left of centre, passed inside to Kai Kennedy who’s drive forced the keeper to turn the ball over.

Ciaran Dickson the switched the play to find Kai Kennedy on the right side of the penalty area, as he cut inside the referee adjudged he was impeded and awarded a penalty. He stepped up to take the spot-kick but it was too straight and the keeper saved comfortably. There was still time before the final period’s turn around for Josh Henderson to fire a free-kick from the edge of the box off the Accies crossbar.

After the turn around Hamilton reduced the deficit with an attack down the left and a shot from the left hand angle of the box over the head of Lewis Budinauckas and into the net. Within minutes the visitors had pulled another goal back, a fine turn and shot from the edge of the box beat Lewis Budinauckas despite the Rangers keeper getting a hand to the ball.

Rangers completed the scoring when Jason Campbell sent Matty Yates down the left, when he played the ball into the penalty area Blair Rossiter side stepped the keeper before rolling the ball into the net.

Full-Time:- Rangers 5 Hamilton Accies 2

Rangers Squad:- Luke Scullion (Gk), Lewis Budinauckas (Gk), Callum Biggar, Euan Deveney, Kyle McLelland, Josh Henderson, Ciaran Dickson, Blair Rossiter, Kai Kennedy, Jason Campbell, Matty Yates, Adam Devine, Robbie Fraser, Reegan Aitken.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: