Late Glasgow Cup Winner

Rangers 1 Partick Thistle 0

A Ross McCrorie header six minutes from time was enough to give Rangers a win they deserved in a game they dominated from start to finish. Only in Scotland would a competition’s rules change halfway through, what was originally a home and away round robin was recently changed to a single game round robin with the bottom team being eliminated and the remaining four meeting in semi finals. With all other games already played the only thing at stake was who would have home advantage in the subsequent semi final.

Despite newspaper and internet speculation there was no change in the home dugout as the teams kicked off at Murray Park with Rangers creating the first chance. There were eight minutes on the clock when Liam Burt swung in a corner from the left and Jack Thomson’s header forced the Thistle keeper to tip over. A couple of minutes later another Liam Burt corner again from the left was headed goalwards by Ross McCrorie this time it was cleared from the line at the near post by a defender.

Just before the twenty-minute mark Kyle Bradley broke forward on the right and when he entered the box he charged down a defender’s clearance and poked the ball past the keeper but the ball slide just wide of the keeper’s left hand post. Ten minutes later Kyle Bradley again broke down the right before playing a one-two with Grant Nelson and shooting just wide of the same left hand post.

Rangers next chance came from a free-kick just outside the penalty area, Jason Krones powerfully struck shot was parried low to his right by the Thistle keeper with his defence following up to clear. Right on the stroke of half-time Ross McCrorie rose to meet Max Ashmore’s corner from the right but his header rebounded from the keeper’s left hand post.

Half-Time:- Rangers 0 Partick Thistle 0

Rangers continued to dominate after the break with the first chance coming just before the hour, Kyle Clark won possession on the right side of the box, he passed inside to Sam Jamieson who shot straight at the keeper. On seventy-two minutes Ross McCrorie broke from defence, his attempted pass on the edge of the box broke back to him off a defender but he was foiled as the keeper blocked his shot with his legs.

As the game approached the final five minutes Rangers grabbed the winner, from a free-kick wide on the right just inside the Thistle half Grant Nelson delivered into the box where Ross McCrorie rose to head past the keeper.

Full-Time:- Rangers 1 Partick Thistle 0

Rangers:- Robbie McCrorie; Kyle Bradley, Jason Krones, Ross McCrorie, Lewis White; Ross Lyon, Liam Burt (Kyle Clark 55mins), Jack Thomson, Grant Nelson; Max Ashmore (Andy Dallas 65mins); Sam Jamieson (Kieran Balfour 82mins).

Not Used:- Kieran Wright (Gk), Premyslaw Dachnowicz.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: