Second Half Turn Round For 17’s

Rangers 3 Kilmarnock 2

For the second time this season Rangers Under 17’s came from two goals down at half-time to score three second-half goals and clinch what looked an unlikely win. Rangers had the better of the early play although there was just over a quarter of an hour gone before the game saw its first real chance, Max Ashmore’s pass sent Kyle Clark through on the left side of the penalty area and his shot was turned wide by the Killie keeper at his near post.

The next chance came midway through the half, Kyle Clark switched play to Sam Jamieson  on the right and his shot from the angle of the box was just too high. A few minutes later Kilmarnock took the lead, Jason Krone’s slack pass across the edge of his own penalty area was intercepted by a Killie forward, as he stepped into the box Robbie Smith slipped as he prepared to make a challenge leaving the striker clear to shoot past Kieran Wright.

The visitors doubled their lead eight minutes before the break, their winger cut in from the left to link with his midfielder, the initial attempt to pass through the Rangers defence was blocked but the second attempt ricocheted into the forwards path inside the right side of the box and he shot past Kieran Wright.

Half-Time:- Rangers 0 Kilmarnock 2

Killie’s confidence was high and they started the second half on top, although they weren’t threatening Kieran Wright’s goal and it was the Rangers keeper who was the unlikely creator of the goal that brought Rangers back into the game. His goal-kick eluded the Kilmarnock the Kilmarnock defence and fourteen year old Zak Rudden raced clear to shoot past the keeper.

As the midway point of the half approached Sam Jamieson played Andy Dallas through on the right side of the penalty area but his shot could only find the side netting. Almost immediately the Killie defence struggled to clear a cross from the right and when it fell for Zak Rudden only a fine block from the keeper’s legs prevented an equaliser.

Kilmarnock replied with in a minute with an attack through the middle and the resultant shot was just wide of Kieran Wright’s right hand post. This frantic period ended with Rangers going straight up the other end and drawing level, Jamie Barjonas cross from the right found Kyle Clark at the back post and he picked out Sam Jamieson with a cushioned header who smashed the ball high into the net from around the penalty spot.

As the game entered the final quarter of an hour Kilmarnock attacked down the left and the shot from distance was wide of Kieran Wright’s right hand post. With both sides searching for a winner Jamie Barjonas found Ross Lyon overlapping on the right and his low cross went all the way across goal to Kyle Clark who volleyed back across goal and wide.

The Killie keeper was called into action when Zak Rudden cut in from the left before going for goal from just outside the box, the keeper stretching to tip the ball over. Rangers were not to be denied and grabbed what proved to be the winner with six minutes remaining, Jamie Barjonas delivered a corner from the left and Aidan Wilson rose highest to nod past the keeper.

Full-Time:- Rangers 3 Kilmarnock 0

Rangers:- Kieran Wright; Aidan Wilson, Jason Krones (Ross Lyon HT), Robbie Smith, Lewis White; Liam Burt (Andy Dallas 59mins), Kieran Balfour (Zak Rudden HT), Max Ashmore, Kyle Clark (Trialist 86mins); Jamie Barjonas (Trialist 86mins); Sam Jamieson.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: