High Scoring Game For Young Gers

Rangers U11’s 8 Ayr United U12’s 5

Rangers youngest Development League side provided the youth football fix this afternoon and it proved to be a high scoring affair against an Ayr United side a year older.

Rangers came close after twelve minutes Robbie Fraser drove at the Ayr defence before playing in Reegan Aitken with the United keeper blocking with his legs. The same players then combined to give Rangers the lead sixty seconds later, Reegan Aitken allowed Robbie Fraser’s pass from the left  run across his body before firing back across the keeper into the bottom corner.

Four minutes later Rangers increased their lead, Robbie Fraser’s cross from the right was headed up in the air by an Ayr defender and Liam Morrison was quickest to react, nodding the ball past the keeper. Rangers were in command and when Kai Kirkpatrick played the ball in to Reegan Aitken his neat flick released Robbie Fraser but this time his shot was just wide of the keeper’s left hand post.

The third goal was soon to follow, Kai Kirkpatrick played the ball out to Matthew Collins on the right  side of the box and he was fouled as he went past the defender with the referee pointing to the spot,  Robbie Fraser stepped up to convert from the spot. The visitor’s then threatened with an attack on the left, when the ball was knocked past Grant Thackray a goal looked likely until Liam Morrison got back to clear.

Just before the whistle to end the period Ayr United did get on the score sheet, Rangers failed to clear a free kick played into their box and the ball was eventually bundled past Grant Thackray. The second period saw a rush of goals in the first ten minutes, Rangers grabbed a fourth in the opening minute, Aaron Lyall progress down the right and when his cross was headed out Robbie Fraser gave the keeper no chance with a shot into the top corner.

Ayr immediately replied when a corner from the left was missed by everyone and bounced into the net at the back post. Two minutes later only a brilliant save prevented Rangers scoring again, Robbie Fraser attacked the centre of the Ayr defence before releasing Reegan Aitken his shot was destined for the net until the keeper dived to his right to touch the ball on to the post.

The next goal from Rangers was to come on seven minutes, from a free-kick just outside the left side of the Ayr penalty area Liam Morrison fired across the goal into the far top corner leaving the keeper stranded. The visitor’s then hit back with two goals in as many minutes, the first came from an attack down the right and when the ball came into the centre the shot was over Jay Hogarth and into the net. A free-kick was the source of Ayr’s next goal, when the ball was played into Rangers box it was diverted past Jay Hogarth by the head of a Rangers defender.

Attacks at either end continued even if for a spell they didn’t lead to goals, from Robbie Fraser’s corner from the right Liam Morrison beat the keeper with a header but the ball bounced clear off the far post. Ayr then attacked down the left and it took a brave save from Jay Hogarth at the feet of the attacker to snub out the danger.

Rangers restored their two goal lead on twenty-three minutes, Aaron Lyall cut in from the right before cutting back on to his right foot and shooting past the keeper from the edge of the box. United responded immediately and when a free kick was sent in from the left the ball was volleyed past Jay Hogarth.

In the opening minute of the final period Mackenzie Carse and Aaron Lyall combined on the right to set up a chance for Robbie Fraser who was denied by a fine save. Aaron Lyall’s corner from the right was then the source for Rangers next goal, the ball found its way to the back post where Reegan Aitken had a simple task to knocked the ball into the net from a couple of yards.

As the midway point of the period approached Robbie Fraser drove at the centre of the Ayr defence before feeding Reegan Aitken who beat the advancing keeper with a sublime lob. Rangers had a nother couple of chances before the final whistle, Lewis Robertson on the left side of the box found  Aaron Lyall at the far post and he was denied by the keeper at his near post. Adam Devine and Matthew Collins then combined to set up up a chance for Mackenzie Carse with the keeper advancing from his line to block with his legs.

Rangers 8 Ayr United 5

Rangers Squad:- Grant Thackray (Gk), Jay Hogarth (Gk), Greg Chalmers, Matthew Henderson, Lorenzo Giovanazzi, Liam Morrison, Rhys Caves, Matthew Collins, Lewis Robertson, Reegan Aitken, Robbie Fraser, Kai Kirkpatrick, Alex Lowry, Aaron Lyall, Adam Devine, Ryan Stobbo, Mackenzie Carse, Leon King.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: