Youngsters Lose Out In Glasgow Cup Final

Celtic 1 Rangers 0

Rangers Under 17’s lost to a goal midway through the second half at Celtic Park tonight, they came close to taking the game to extra time but Sam Jamieson’s superb injury time strike came back off the crossbar.

Rangers started brightly and came close on four minutes, David Brownlie’s free-kick from the halfway line was sent in to the Celtic box where it broke for Ryan Hardie, his volley was on target but was blocked by Sam Wardrop. The Ibrox side then had a let off on seventeen minutes, as Aidan Nesbitt made his way along the eighteen yard line from the left he was challenged by Scot Whiteside, the ball broke to Regan Hendry who’s shot beat Robbie McCrorie but rebounded from his left hand post.

Ten minutes later Max Ashmore was dispossessed by Joe Thomson on the right, he attacked the Rangers penalty area before playing in Ciaran Lafferty who failed to hit the target as his shot flashed across goal. The game had now developed into the pattern of the last time the sides met, with Celtic dominating possession, Rangers defending deep and playing long balls up towards Ryan Hardie. Neither side created any clear chances in the remainder of the half and the referee blew to end it goalless.

Half-Time:- Celtic 0 Rangers 0

Rangers had Robbie McCrorie to thank for keeping them level on fifty-five minutes with a brilliant save, Aidan Nesbitt attacked the left side of Rangers penalty area, his ball into the six yard box was met by Ciaran Lafferty who thought he has scored but the Rangers keeper dived to his left to turn the ball away. Three minutes later Rangers threatened on a rare venture forward, Max Ashmore’s free-kick from the left was headed back across goal by Jordan Hamill and Ross McCrorie rose to head over.

As the game approached the final twenty minutes Calvin Miller attacked the left side of Rangers box with Robbie McCrorie parrying his effort on goal, Ciaran Lafferty latched onto the rebound but could only find the side netting. The goal was only delayed a further two minutes as Rangers fell behind, Regan Hendry attacked the left side of Rangers box and his ball into the box fell for Aidan Nesbitt, his initial effort was blocked but he followed up to send the rebound low past Robbie McCrorie.

The dynamic of the game now changed with Rangers having to chase an equaliser and Celtic protecting their lead. With just less than a quarter of an hour remaining Junior Ogen’s through ball set up a race between Ryan Hardie and keeper Colin McCabe, as they converged just inside the box the striker’s toe poke rebounded from the keeper out to Sam Jamieson who’s effort from twenty-five yards was net bound until Sam Wardrop managed to divert the ball over. The Rangers Under 15 striker came closer still in injury time, Jordan Hamill played the ball up to Lewis White who laid it back into the path of Sam Jamieson, his superb effort beat Colin McCabe but rebounded from the crossbar.

Full-Time:- Celtic 1 Rangers 0

Celtic:- Colin McCabe; Sam Wardrop, Jack Breslin, Jamie McCart, Aidan McIlduff; Mark Hill; Regan Hendry, Joe Thomson, Aidan Nesbitt (Ryan Caird 87mins), Kieran Tierney (Calvin Miller 62mins); Ciaran Lafferty (Steven Boyd 74mins).

Not Used:- Ross Doohan (Gk), Connor McLaren, Sean McIntosh, Aaron Comrie.

Rangers:-Robbie McCrorie; Michael Mossie, Scot Whiteside (Kyle Clark 61mins), David Brownlie, Ross McCrorie; Jamie Brandon (Lewis White 56mins), Jordan Hamill, Adam Wilson, Max Ashmore (Sam Jamieson 71mins); Junior Ogen, Ryan Hardie;

Not Used:- Lewis McMinn (Gk), Liam Burt, Kyle Bradley.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: