17’s Edge Out Celtic

Rangers 2 Celtic 1

A spirited defensive performance all but secured Rangers Under 17’s place in this season’s Glasgow Cup Final. It wasn’t a game of any great quality but a win over your biggest rivals is always welcome.

The first half provided very little in the way of goalmouth action, Celtic dominated possession but created no real chances and failed to produce one shot on target. While Rangers in a rare foray towards  Celtic’s goal took the lead five minutes before the break. Michael Mossie got a flick on to Robbie McCrorie’s long clearance and Ryan Hardie on the right hand angle of the box took his shot early, firing across keeper Colin McCabe and into the bottom corner with a superb strike.

Half-Time:- Rangers 1 Celtic 0

The second half followed a similar vein, with Celtic having plenty possession in and around Rangers box but failing to seriously trouble Robbie McCrorie. Ten minutes after the break Kieran Tierney hit the byline on the left, his cutback found Joe Thomson who was denied by a superb David Brownlie challenge.

The game had entered the final twenty minutes before Robbie McCrorie was called into serious action. Kieran Tierney again made the byline on the left and his cross to the back post was met by the head of Aiden Nesbitt with the Rangers keeper diving to his left to turn the ball away. Rangers capitalised a minute later by increasing their lead, David Brownlie sent a free-kick from the halfway line into the Celtic box, Ryan Hardie’s back header looked likely to cause little danger but keeper Colin McCabe must have thought the ball was going wide as he watched the ball roll into the net at his right hand post.

What should have been a comfortable lead became a nervy finish when the youngsters lost a poor goal twelve minutes to go, there seemed little danger when Kieran Tierney played the ball through the centre, with the Rangers defence waiting on Robbie McCrorie clearing the danger, the Rangers keeper hesitated and allowed Regan Hendry to run unchallenged to fire into the net.

Rangers had a chance to make the came safe in the final minute, Ryan Hardie attacked the left side of the box from a tight angle and with Lewis White and Jamie Brandon waiting in the middle his cutback was poor and the Celtic defence cleared. The visitors had a final chance in injury time, from Ryan Caird’s free-kick close to the left hand byline Steven Boyd got a touch at the near post with Robbie McCrorie diving high to his left to turn the ball away. In the ensuing scramble Jordan Hamill produce a superb block on Theo Archibald’s net bound shot as Rangers held on for a win.

Full-Time:- Rangers 2 Celtic 1

Rangers:- Robbie McCrorie; Ross McCrorie, Scot Whiteside (Lewis White 85mins), David Brownlie, Chris McDonald; Adam Wilson; Michael Mossie (Sam Jamieson 75mins), Jordan Hamill, Max Ashmore (Jamie Brandon 67mins); Ryan Hardie, Junior Ogen.

Not Used:- Lewis McMinn (Gk), Kyle Bradley, Kyle Clark
Celtic:- Colin McCabe; Sam Wardrop, Jack Breslin, Jamie McCart, Kieran Tierney; Aaron Comrie (Steven Boyd 60mins); Joe Thomson; Ryan Caird; Connor McLaren (Regan Hendry 57mins), Calvin Miller (Theo Archibald 85mins), Aiden Nesbitt
Not Used:- Ross Doohan (Gk), Aidan McIlduff, Mark Hill, Daniel Higgins.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: