Under 20’s Grab Late Point

Rangers 2 Inverness CT 2

A goal three minutes from time from substitute Callum Gallagher secured a point for Rangers Under 20’s at The Bet Butler Stadium this afternoon. It was a young Rangers starting lineup, with no over age players and only Barrie McKay above Under 19’s. There was another notable thing about Rangers starting lineup,  there wasn’t one naturally left footed player in the side.

Rangers were first to threaten after five minutes when Tom Walsh tried a low shot from around twenty-five yards that had Ryan Esson diving to his right to turn the ball wide. Two minutes later the visitors took the lead, when Adam Evans sent a low cross in from the right Kris Gibson’s fresh air swipe wrong footed Liam Kelly and the ball found the far corner of the net.

Inverness threatened again when Joe Gorman sent a long ball out to Adam Evans on the right before he passed inside to his midfield colleague who shot just wide of Liam Kelly’s right hand post. Just after the quarter-hour mark Rangers equalised. Barrie McKay attacked the full-back on the right before cutting inside and passing to Danny Stoney who gave Ryan Esson no chance from around ten yards.

Midway through the half Craig Halkett got his head to a Barrie McKay corner from the right with Ryan Esson saving at his right hand post. Jus before the half-hour only a brilliant Liam Kelly save kept Rangers level, Ben Greenhalgh attacked on the left, his pass into the box was laid back by the striker for the onrushing midfielder to striker at goal and he was denied by Liam Kelly who got down to his right to produce a one-handed save.

Rangers replied down their left when Ryan Sinnamon broke forward, he passed inside to Tom Walsh who in turn found Danny Stoney who progressed along the eighteen yard line before forcing a save from Ryan Esson low to his right. The keeper was in action again as the half approached the final five minutes, rising to tip a long-range Charlie Telfer effort over.

The visitors replied by going up the other end and taking the lead, a long ball found their striker on the left, his pass inside found Liam Polworth with space and time to shoot past Liam Kelly from the edge of the box.

Half-Time:- Rangers 1 Inverness CT 2

The first real chance after the break came after fifteen minutes, Craig Halkett’s header from Barrie McKay’s corner looked bound for the net until Conor Pepper cleared from the line. Rangers were dominating but clear-cut chances were few with any shots on goal inevitably finding a block from an Inverness defender.

A the game approached the final ten minutes Tom Walsh sent a free-kick from just inside the Caley half into the box and when it was headed out Barrie McKay’s shot was just too high. With time running out Barrie McKay sent in a corner from the right that setup a series of head tennis in the Caley box before the ball fell for Callum Gallagher to force a close range overhead kick over the line.

Full-Time:- Rangers 2 Inverness CT 2

Rangers:- Liam Kelly; Craig Halkett, Greg Pascazio, Kris Gibson, Ryan Sinnamon; Barrie McKay, Charlie Telfer, Andy Murdoch, Tom Walsh; Dylan Dykes (Darren Ramsay 67mins); Danny Stoney (Callum Gallagher 71mins).

Not Used;- Robbie McCrorie (Gk), Jamie Mills.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: