Linfield Youngsters Visit Murray Park

Rangers U13’s 4 Linfield U14’s 4

It was a stiff test for Rangers Under 13’s against older opponents at Murray Park tonight, but the Rangers youngsters impressed with their passing game especially in the first and third periods, with the Belfast side being equally impressive as they got their own passing game together in the middle period.

Rangers opened the scoring in the first minute, Nathan Patterson progressed to the byline on the left and his cross found its way to Kieran McKechnie at the back post who slotted home. Linfield replied a couple of minutes later with an attack down the left and the shot from the left side of the penalty area found the net via Brian Kinnear’s left hand post.

The visitors threatened again on the twenty-minute mark with another attack on the left, this time the shot was across goal and wide of Brian Kinnear’s left hand post. Rangers replied immediately by taking the lead, Billy Gilmour won possession just outside the right side of the penalty area and lobbed the ball over the keeper and into the net.

Linfield hit back in the opening minutes of the second period with an attack through the centre, a neat exchange of passes at the edge of the box opening up the Rangers defence and allowing a strike past Brian Kinnear. The Belfast side then took the lead on thirty-six minutes, they passed the ball across the face of Rangers penalty area from right to left which ended with a shot past Brian Kinnear and into the net.

Midway through the period Linfield looked certain to increase their lead when they were through one-on-one on Brian Kinnear, but the Rangers keeper stood tall to make a fine save. The goal did come five minutes before the end of the period, when the ball came into the Rangers box from the right they struggled to clear and it eventually fell for a Linfield player to shoot past Brian Kinnear.

The final attack of the period saw Ben Williamson send Mark Leonard through and he was desperately unlucky when his shot hit the inside of the keeper’s left hand post and flashed across goal. Rangers started the third period with a superb move that was almost rewarded with a goal, Andy Rodden played the ball up to Dylan Patterson on halfway, his headed layoff sent Lewis McGrattan heading towards the Linfield box. He passed to Mark Leonard on the edge of the box and his layback to Lewis McGrattan saw the midfielder beat the keeper but watch his shot rebound off the crossbar.

Kieran McKechnie then hit the byline on the right and his cross found Dylan Patterson at the back post and he was only denied by a fine save by the Linfield keeper low to his left. Rangers reduced the deficit with their next attack, again it was a burst to the right hand byline this time by Nathan Patterson and when the cross came into the box the referee adjudged it was handled by a defender and the same player converted from the spot.

The visitors the had a chance to regain their two goal advantage when a powerful run down the left outstripped the Rangers defence and keeper Reece Murdoch dived to his left to pull off a fine save. Rangers capitalised by equalising from another penalty, Kieran McKechnie was body checked as he busrt into the right side of the box and Mark Leonard beat the keeper from twelve yards.

Full-Time:- Rangers U13’s 4 Linfield U14’s 4

Rangers:- Brian Kinnear (Gk), Reece Murdoch(Gk), Aiden Gibb, Jamie Walker, Rhuaridh McIntyre, Danny Finlayson, Ben Williamson, Kieran McKechnie, Billy Gilmour, Niyah Joseph, Dylan Patterson, Nathan Patterson, Kyle Ewing, Lewis McGrattan, Andy Rodden, Mark Leonard.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: