Development Games Against St Mirren

Following on from Friday’s U15 game, the games continued on Saturday through Sunday. Giving the  U12 to U14 age groups the opportunity to play at the senior league grounds, starting with the U12’s at Ibrox on Saturday morning.

Rangers 8 St.Mirren o

Rangers youngster’s had a whirlwind start hitting St. Mirren with three goals in as many minutes. It started when Kieran McKechnie was sent through the inside right channel and he finished with a superb chip over the keeper. The second came when Billy Gilmour’s twenty-five yarder rebounded from the crossbar with Mark Leonard on hand to knock the ball into the net. The third came after good work on the left from Andy Rodden, Kieran McKechnie’s shot from his cross was blocked but fell kindly for Mark Leonard to fire in his second.

St.Mirren managed to stem the tide for the next ten minutes but fell further behind when the keeper failed to keep out another Billy Gilmour twenty-five yarder. The visitor’s tried to hit back with an attack down the right but the shot was across goal and wide of Brian Kinnear’s right hand post. A couple of minutes before the end of the first period Billy Gilmour setup Lewis McGrattan from the edge of the box with the Saints keeper turning the ball over.

Saints opened the second period with a similar effort to the one in the first period, this time down the left and the shot was wide of Brian Kinnear’s left hand post. Rangers now shooting into the Copland Road end soon grabbed a fifth, Niyah Joseph dispossessing a defender at the edge of the box before shooting past the keeper.

Niyah Joseph then combined with Lewis McGrattan to set up a chance for Sean Duddy on the left side of the penalty area that the keeper saved at his near post. As the period entered the final ten minutes Rangers scored again, Niyah Joseph on the right side of the box passing inside to Lewis McGrattan who sidestepped a defender before shooting past the keeper.

A further goal followed when the visitor’s keeper couldn’t prevent Kyle Ewing’s long-range free-kick from crossing the line. The third period began in a similar vein with Lewis McGrattan laying the ball back to Adedapo Mebude who forced a save from the keeper to his right.

The final goal came Nathan Patterson sent Kieran McKechnie to the byline on the right and his cutback was knocked into the net by Niyah Joseph. Rangers came close to recording a ninth when Andy Rodden fired a free-kick off the crossbar.

Full-Time:- Rangers 8 St.Mirren 0

Rangers Squad:- Brian Kinnear (Gk), Reece Murdoch (Gk), Nathan Patterson, Jamie Walker, Kyle Ewing, Danny Finlayson, Mark Leonard, Billy Gilmour, Lewis McGrattan, Kieran McKechnie, Andy Rodden, Harry Cochrane, Niyah Joseph, Ben Williamson, Adedapo Mebude, Rhuaridh McIntyre, Sean Duddy.

Sunday saw a double-header at St.Mirren Park, starting with the U14’s in the morning and followed by the U13’s in the afternoon.

St.Mirren 2 Rangers 2

A late goal denied Rangers what would have been a deserved win against an opponent that inflicted a heavy defeat a couple of months ago. When Sam Jamieson hooked a lobbed cross into the box from the right Grant Nelson looked certain to score but was denied by a point-blank block with the keeper’s legs.

The home side took the lead just before the tenth minute, the attack was created on the right and when the cross came into the box the Rangers defence struggled to clear and the ball broke kindly for the Saints player to net from around six yards. Rangers came close when Aidan Wilson passed forward to Jamie Barjonas who fed Liam Burt on the right side of the box but his shot was just wide of the far post.

A minute later Kieran Laing collected a loose ball at the edge of the box and his effort was only just wide of the keeper’s right hand post.  At the start of the second period Sam Jamieson slipped a pass through on the right side of the box with the keeper saving bravely at the feet of Jamie Barjonas.

A well constructed move involving Liam Burt, Grant Nelson and Jamie Barjonas setup a chance for Sam Jamieson who shot narrowly over. Rangers continued to press and when Ben Andoh got his head to Jamie Barjonas right-wing cross the keeper held the ball just under his bar.

The home side had a narrow escape when Jason Krones got his head to a corner from the right with the keeper blocking on the line, in the ensuing scramble Rangers couldn’t force the ball over the line and the Saints defence cleared. With four minutes of the period remaining Rangers equalised, Grant Nelson sent over a corner from the right and Jason Krones rose to head past the keeper.

Rangers started the third period on the front foot and from Sam Jamieson’s cross from the right Jamie Barjonas header was just wide of the keeper’s right hand post. Jamie Barjonas then turned architect coming in from the right to set up Jay Willis who forced a save from the keeper low to his left.

Just as the turn around of the third period approached Rangers took the lead, Lewis Ferguson heading Jamie Barjonas cross from the right past the keeper. Rangers then missed a couple of opportunities to make the game safe, Kieran Pirrie shooting wide when a pass to Jay Willis would have sent up an almost certain goal, then Jamie Barjonas losing a similar chance when a pass to Kieran Pirrie would have been the better option.

In the final minute Rangers were to pay for those missed chances, a free-kick from near the left touchline on the halfway line was sent into to Rangers box, Kieran Wright came but miscued his punch and as the ball looped behind him the St.Mirren player had a simple task to head into the net.

Full-Time:- St.Mirren 2 Rangers 2

Rangers:- Kieran Wright; Dean Picken, Jason Krones, Aidan Wilson, Kieran Laing; Jamie Bajonas, Liam Burt, Blair Docherty, Ben Andoh (Jay Willis 60mins); Grant Nelson (Lewis Ferguson 66mins); Sam Jamieson (Kieran Pirrie 73mins).

St.Mirren 1 Rangers 5

On to the afternoon and St.Mirren Park was again the venue as the club’s U13 sides met. The home side took the lead on eight minutes, from a free-kick just outside the left side of the box the ball was fired over the defensive wall giving Darren Montgomery no chance as it found the corner of the net.

Rangers equalised just after the midpoint of the period, Jack Thomson broke forward from defence and passed to Stephen Kelly on halfway, his through ball was flicked on by the Trialist N0. 9 and Matthew Shiels ran on to round the keeper and slot the ball into the net. Two minutes later a superb Jack Thomson challenge conceded a corner as he thwarted an attack from the home side.

Rangers took the lead on twenty-two minutes, Matthew Shiels losing his marker to find the net from close range from Carlo Pigniatello’s corner from the left. Saints tried to reply with an attack down the left and when the ball was passed inside Darren Montgomery saved the shot comfortably.

Rangers increased their lead in the opening minute of the second period, Jack Thomson passed to Billy Gilmour and his pass sent Kieran McKechnie clear on the right,  he carried on into the box before shooting past the keeper. Number four soon followed, good work on the left from Matthew Shiels saw his cross into the box finished by a Stephen Kelly diving header.

A Billy Gilmour pass then sent Matthew Shiels through on the left side of the box and he was denied a hat-trick by a fine save. The home side the attacked through the centre of the Rangers defence  and keeper Lewis Muir stood tall to make the save.

A superb move saw the ball go from Billy Gilmour to Stephen Kelly and on to Carlo Pigniatello who laid it back to Michael Hewitt and his cross found Billy Gilmour who had advanced into the box but his header was just wide of the keeper’s left hand post. Ten minutes into the third period the home side came close when a long-range free-kick was only just over.

The respite was temporary and Rangers scored again with a superb goal, Scott Gray sent Matthew Shiels towards the byline on the left, and he looked up to pick out Stephen Kelly arriving at the edge of the box and he finished with a fine shot. The home side had the final attack of note, it came down the left and when the cross came in Scott Gray did well to clear to the edge of the box and from there the shot on goal was wide of Lewis Muir’s left hand post.

Full-Time:-St.Mirren 1 Rangers 5

Rangers Squad:- Darren Montgomery (Gk), Lewis Muir (Gk), Michael Hewitt, Scott Gray, Jack Thomson, Lewis Mayo, Cammy Wray, Carlo Pigniatello, Stephen Kelly, Trialist N0.9, Dylan Patterson, Matthew Shiels, Billy Gilmour, Kieran McKechnie, Rhys Breen.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: