Comfortable Win For 14’s

Ayr United 1 Rangers 7

With the u17’s playing in  the Glasgow Cup Final tomorrow and the U13’s in a tournament in Italy this weekend the only youth game today was the U14’s fixture against Ayr United at Prestwick Academy. It was a comfortable win for the Rangers youngsters despite only having a squad of eleven players including two trialists.

Rangers took the lead after seven minutes from the penalty spot, Jay Willis broke forward and his pass inside the right back found the overlapping Kieran Laing breaking into the box where he was brought down, the Rangers full-back stepped up to convert from the spot.   Just before the quarter-hour Liam Burt’s pass through the middle saw Kieran Pirrie out pace the defence to round the keeper and roll the ball into the net.

The home side tried to reply with an attack of the left side of the box and the effort was blocked by the legs of Rangers keeper Kieran Wright. As the end of the first period approach Kieran Pirrie headed Jack Frew’s cross from the right just wide of the keeper’s right hand post. Liam Burt was then defied by a fine save from the home keeper after a one-two with Kieran Pirrie freed him inside the box.

Five minutes into the second period an audacious attempt from Liam Burt twenty-five yards out and wide of the right touchline beat the keeper but rebounded from the crossbar. A minute later Jay Willis dispossesed a defender and forced the keeper into a fine save before cracking the rebound off the left hand post.

Ayr were to capitalise on these let offs by pulling a goal back, their midfielder broke forward before finding the bottom corner from just outside the box. The woodwork then came to the home side’s rescue again, Jay Willis cutting in from the left and going for goal as he was challenged with the shot bouncing off the crossbar.

As the period entered the final five minutes Jay Willis burst past two defenders into the box before prodding the ball past the keeper. A corner from the right found its way to Liam Burt at the back post with the keeper blocking the shot with his legs. Just before the end of the period Kieran Laing won the ball of the left side of the penalty area, and stepped forward to fire past the keeper.

An early home attack at the start of the third period was thwarted when Kieran Wright saved low to his left. The home keeper was then in action when Kieran Pirrie laid the ball back into the path of Liam Burt, with the keeper saving to his right.

Rangers then scored a fifth from distance, Lewis Ferguson firing past the keeper from around twenty-five yards. Ayr tried to get back into the game and following an attack down the left Kieran Wright had to be quick from his line to block.

Liam Burt then tested the keeper at the other end cutting in from the left and forcing the keeper to dive to his left to save. Rangers next goal came direct from a corner kick from the right Jay Willis corner eluding everyone and finding the net. The final minute saw the final goal, created by Kieran Pirrie down the right his low cross was knocked into the net by Jay Willis to complete his hat-trick.

Full-Time:- Ayr United 1 Rangers 7

Rangers:- Kieran Wright; Jack Frew, Dean Picken, Aidan Wilson, Kieran Laing; Ben Andoh, Liam Burt, Lewis Ferguson, Ross Smith, Jay Willis; Kieran Pirrie.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: