Youth Update

This weekend’s youth games began on Friday night with the U15’s 2-1 win against Queen’s Park at Lesser Hampden. I didn’t make it to that game, but the same venue was my choice for Sunday morning’s match where Queen’s Park again hosted Rangers.

Queen’s Park 0 Rangers 1


The opening exchanges produced little in the way of chances until Rangers took the lead on seventeen minutes. Scott Roberts closed down and dispossessed Danny Smith on the right side of the penalty area and rolled the ball across goal for Gloady Ntumba to shoot past the defender on the line. Just after the half-hour Jamie Mills won the ball deep inside the Queen’s Park half on the left hand side before passing to Danny Stoney he in turn passed inside to Tom Walsh and his effort was just wide of the keeper’s right hand post.

Half-Time:- Queen’s Park 0 Rangers 1

The second half followed a similar theme and there was over an hour gone when the home side created a clear chance. Ross Gemmell made progress down the left and his cross found its way to David Ramsay at the back post but he shot over. As the game neared the final ten minutes Rangers created a similar chance at the other end. Scott Robert was the creator on the leftand from his cross Lewis Morgan firedover.

In the final minute Liam Kelly kept Rangers lead intact, diving to his right to save a Macauley Wilson free-kick from the left side of the penalty area.

Full-Time:- Queen’s Park 0 Rangers 1

Queen’s Park:- Danny McLean; Danny Smith, Dale Jones, Kyle Chalmers, Ross Gemmell (Adam Love 80mins); David Ramsay, Jamie Gallagher (Paul Brown 70mins), James Marr, Macauley Wilson, Gregor Wylie; Jordan Davidson (Tom Collins 65mins)

Not Used:- Marc Wilson, Nathan Brown

Rangers:- Liam Kelly; Ryan Sinnamon, David Brownlie, Greg Pascazio, Jamie Mills; Scott Roberts, Tom Walsh (Michael Mossie 60mins), Junior Ogen (Adam Wilson 68mins), Dylan Dykes, Danny Stoney (Lewis Morgan HT); Gloady Ntumba (Ryan Hardie 60mins).

The alternative game would have been the U13’s game against St.Mirren at Ralston which kicked off around the same time with Rangers winning 6-2. I just got to Ralston as the under 14’s game between the sides kicked-off.

St.Mirren 5 Rangers 1

The home side took the lead when their striker powered through the Rangers defence and continued into the box to shoot past Kieran Wright. Rangers then lost possession from their own throw in near their own penalty area on the right, the ball was played into the box and the striker shot past Kieran Wright.

Rangers tried to reply and Kieran Laing made progress on the left before passing to Blair Docherty who moved the ball onto Jordan Houston and his shot from the edge of the box was just wide of the keeper’s right hand post. With Aidan Wilson struggling with an injury     the Rangers defence was under pressure and when Jordan Houston was out muscled competing for a bouncing ball the St.Mirren player went through on Kieran Wright to net a third. Rangers managed to pull a goal back before the end of the first period, Grant Nelson’s corner from the left found its way to Sam Jamieson who found the net through a crowd of players.

Any hopes that would be a catalyst for a comeback were dashed in the opening minute of the second period. The attack came down the left and when the ball came into the box it was prodded past Kieran Wright into the bottom corner. Within in sixty seconds the striker was played through the inside left channel, this time his shot was wide of Kieran Wright’s right hand post.

Rangers came close to reducing the deficit when Liam Burt’s free-kick from the right found Jamie Barjonas at the back post but his effort was just wide. They were to rue that miss when in St.Mirren’s next attack down the left as they entered the box Euan McMillan brought the attacker down for a penalty that was duly converted.

A ball over the top created another chance for the home side with Kieran Wright producing a fine save. The Rangers keeper was again called into action this time rushing from his line to block when a lob sent the Saints player clear.

For the first part of the last period Rangers dominated possession and had a series if free kick s without troubling the keeper. St Mirren were back creating chances after the turn round, an attack through the inside right channel looked to have produced another goal when the ball was prodded past the advancing Kieran Wright until Dean Picken got back to clear. The final chance saw another goal line clearance, this time from Euan McMillan after a corner from the right was headed goalwards.

Full-Time:- St.Mirren 5 Rangers 1

Rangers Squad:- Kieran Wright (Gk), Jordan Houston, Kieran Laing, Dean Picken, Aidan Wilson, Blair Docherty, Liam Burt, Lewis Ferguson, Sam Jamieson, Jamie Barjonas, Grant Nelson, Euan McMillan, Jay Willis, Kieran Pirrie


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: