Development Teams Meet Accies

Rangers youth teams took on Hamilton Accies today and the kick-off times meant I could take in two games and half of the Under 15 game. The morning saw a comfortable win for the Under 14’s at Murray Park, and late Rangers goals meant the 15’s drew and 17’s scored a late winner.

Rangers 7 Hamilton Accies 2

First up was the under 14 game at Murray Park with a 10am kick off. Rangers were first to come close when Dean Pitchen rose to head Grant Nelson’s corner from the left just wide of the right hand post. Rangers then fell behind when Jason Krones was short with a pass back and the Accies striker ran on to shoot past Kieran Wright.

Rangers replied when Sam Jamieson touched a free-kick to Aidan Wilson who tested the keeper from distance. The visitors then missed a great chance to increase their lead, a ball over the top sent the striker through on goal, he lobbed the ball over the advancing Kieran Wright but wide of the post.

Rangers equalised after winning the ball on halfway, with the Hamilton players claiming a free-kick Sam Jamieson advanced into the box on the left before squaring to Liam Burt to shoot past the keeper. Rangers soon edged ahead, Kieran Laing passed forward to Liam Burt on the right, the Accies keeper dived to cut out the cross but when he failed to hold on Ben Andoh fired into the net.

Hamilton tried to respond and Kieran Wright had to be quick and brave to save at the striker’s feet when the ball was played through. Rangers then provided themselves with a two goal cushion by grabbing a third, Ben Andoh cut in from the left past a defender before setting up Dean Pitchen who found the net from the edge of the box.

A poor pass from Kieran Wright presented Accies with a great chance but the Rangers keeper redeemed himself with a fine point-blank save with the rebound being knocked wide. The final chance of the period came when Liam Burt found Grant Nelson inside the box and he was only just too high with his shot.

The visitors started the second period with a great run from the right-back area creating a chance. Kieran Wright dived to his right to parry and with the Accies player under pressure from Kieran Laing the rebound attempt came back off the right hand post. Rangers immediately increased their lead with Ben Andoh racing clear of the Accies defence from the halfway line to shoot past the keeper.

The crossbar then came to the visitor’s rescue when Aidan Wilson’s twenty-five yard free-kick bounced clear with the keeper beaten. They were still in the game and when a corner from the right was sent to the back post Kieran Wright had to be alert to save from close range. Soon after a move down the Accies left created another chance but the shot was across goal and wide.

The third period started with Rangers losing possession midway in their own half and the Hamilton player going on to shoot past Kieran Wright. Rangers the restored their three goal cushion after good play on the edge of the box by Jay ????? the ball broke for Jack Morgan to find the net from just inside the box.

Rangers came close when Kieran ????? hooked the ball over his head into the Accies box, where Dean Pitchen’s challenge won the ball which broke to Jack Morgan who hit the left hand post from a narrow angle. Some great play from Dean Pitchen, lobbing the ball over two defenders as he cut in from the left  before passing to Lewis Ferguson who’s lay off was fired past the keeper by Kieran ?????.

Rangers continued to look likely to add to their tally and the Accies keeper made a fine save touching Jack Morgan’s shot over after he cut in from the right. The scoring was completed when Aidan Wilson stepped up to fire a free-kick from the edge of the box into the net.

Full-Time:- Rangers 7 Hamilton Accies 2

Rangers Squad:- Kieran Wright (Gk), Kieran Laing, Euan McMillan, Aidan Wilson, Jason Krones, Dean Pitchen, Liam Burt, Blair Docherty, Ben Andoh, Sam Jamieson, Grant Nelson, Ross Brown, Lewis Ferguson, Jack Morgan, Kieran ?????, Jay Willis

So it was out the Regional Sports Centre at Ravenscraig and I arrived on the stroke of half-time with Rangers Under 15’s losing 1-0. Rangers equalised in the second half, a good run forward from Ross Lyon fed Gary McGriesh who went past the defender to the byline and played the ball across goal for the substitute (possibly Rhys Young) to score from close range.

The home side then took the lead near the end with a free-kick right on the edge of the penalty area. In the final minute a solo run from Gary McGreish saw him cut in from the right past two defenders before finding the bottom corner with a left foot shot.

Hamilton Accies 3 Rangers 4

Apologies I arrived at what I thought was the kick-off, not realising Danny Stoney put Rangers ahead after 30 seconds.

In under 17’s clash, the final game of the day both sides agreed to include two under 18 players. Hamilton dominated in the first half with Rangers improving after the interval to secure a late draw.

Hamilton Accies took the lead early in the match, there seemed little danger when the ball was gathered on the right fully thirty yards from goal, but a stunning strike gave Liam Kelly no chance as the ball found the top corner. An attack on the left was the source of the next chances and the effort was just wide of Liam Kelly’s left hand post.

Liam Kelly in the Rangers goal got down low to his left to turn a twenty-five yard free-kick wide. Hamilton continued to dominate and doubled their lead via the penalty spot. The attack was on the right side of the box and David Brownlie caught the Accies player the referee pointed to the spot, and the ball was fired past Liam Kelly.

The home side then missed a great chance to score a third, David Brownlie was caught in possession and the Accies player was through on goal and was denied when Liam Kelly advanced from his line to make a fine block.

Half-Time:-Hamilton Accies 2 Rangers 1

The home side continued where they left off and from a left-wing cross the back post header was only just wide of Liam Kelly’s left hand post. Rangers then grabbed a goal to get themselves back in the match. Gloady Ntumba went past the full-back on the right and his cutback was fired first time past the keeper by Danny Stoney.

A great run on the right by Accies wide player saw him cut in along the eighteen yard line to set up a colleague with Liam Kelly diving to his left to save. Rangers fell further behind when they failed to clear a corner from the left, the ball was fired through a crowd of players into the bottom corner.

Rangers tried to get back into the match and when Andy McKinnon played the ball in from the left it broke to Danny Stoney with the keeper blocking the effort with his legs. With the game well into the final ten minutes the ball was played forward to Ryan Hardie, a great first touch and step inside the defender created the space to shoot past the keeper.

In Rangers next attack Ryan Hardie was one of four Rangers players breaking forward, as he entered the box on the left he had options in the middle but he took on the chance himself and found the corner with a neat finish.

Full-Time:- Hamilton Accies 3 Rangers 4

Rangers Squad:- Liam Kelly (Gk), Jamie Wilson (Gk), Steven Chatterton, Jamie Mills, Craig Halkett, David Brownlie, Kris Gibson, Danny Stoney, Michael Mossie, Gloady Ntumba, Dylan Dykes, Lewis Morgan, Andy McKinnon, Kjeld McIntyre, Ryan Hardie, Junior Ogen.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: