Dundee United Double Header

Before heading over to Ibrox for the game against East Stirling I took in the youths double-header at Murray Park in the morning. First up was Under 15’s who shared four goals with their United rivals, followed by Under 17’s who gained a rather fortunate win with a late goal.

Rangers 2 Dundee United 2

This season Under 15’s has been changed from three thirty minute periods to forty minutes each way, as the teams use their full squads in these games in my opinion the change just means ten minutes less game time for some players. The early period of the first half saw few chances and there was around twenty-five minutes gone when Josh Jeffries sent John Cunningham through on the left side of the penalty area with the United keeper diving to save.

Just before the half-hour the visitors created a chance down the left, Jamie Wilson advanced from his goal and the United player shot across goal. With just over five minutes of the half remaining Josh Jeffries sent in a cross from the right which Reece Duncan volleyed just over. A couple of minutes later Rangers took the lead, a neat passing move ended when Josh Jeffries’s pass split the defence and found Lewis White breaking into the box to go on and shoot past the keeper.

Half-Time:- Rangers 1 Dundee United 0

Two minutes after the break a poor pass out of defence from Jason Krones was intercepted and one pass later the United player was through to round Jamie Wilson and equalise. A further two minutes had passed and another mistake saw United take the lead, Ross McCrorie failed to deal with a long ball and it allowed the United player to carry on into the box and shoot past Jamie Wilson.

A slack pass from defence in the fifty-second minute saw Reece Duncan through on goal with the visitor’s keeper diverting his effort wide of the left hand post with his foot. On the hour mark Rhys Young intercepted a clearance on the left, he went past the full back towards the byline and his shot from a narrow angle was turned wide of the post by the keeper.

The game entered the final ten minutes with Josh Jeffries breaking forward from midfield past a defender before shooting from the edge of the box which the United keeper touched over. Rangers grabbed an equaliser with five minutes remaining, Ross Lyon sent a corner in from the right and the ball broke from a challenge with the keeper to Rhys Young who knocked the ball into the net from close range.

Full-Time:- Rangers 2 Dundee United 2

Rangers Squad:- Jamie Wilson (Gk), Reagan Milne, Jason Krones, Ross McCrorie, Lewis White, Gary McGreish, Ross Lyon, Max Ashmore, Reece Duncan, Josh Jeffries, John Cunningham, Jamie Brandon, Jamie Barjonas, Rhys Young, Jack Gilmour, Cammy Price, George Bowyer

Rangers 1 Dundee United 0

Next up at noon was the under 17’s clash which Rangers won with a late goal. Ten minutes saw the first real effort on goal, Tom Walsh’s free-kick from the left was cleared to the edge of the box where Junior Ndanjong’s powerful strike was deflected just wide. Midway through the half  United carved out a great chance, Elliott McDonald’s pass set up  Jamie Montgomery  on the left side of the penalty area but his shot was weak and straight at Liam Kelly.

A couple minutes later and they failed to take an even better chance, Cammy Ballantyne’s cross from the right was headed back across goal by Jamie Montgomery, Mark Russell looked certain to score, but appeared to be falling backwards and didn’t connect properly with his header which allowed Lima Kelly to gather. Rangers then benefited from an incredible refereeing decision, Aaron Kane set up Elliot McDonald who turned Greg Pascazio, his shot was destined for the net until Steven Chatterton running back towards goal knocked the ball over the bar with his hand, those watching looked on in disbelief as the referee awarded a corner.

Right on half-time another attack from United, this time down the left, saw the attempted cross bounce of Liam Kelly’s crossbar, Jamie Montgomery collected the ball on the byline and Liam Kelly diverted his shot from a tight angle wide with his foot.

Half-Time:- Rangers 0 Dundee United 0

Rangers improved after the break but it was still the visitors that looked most likely to score, and less than ten minutes in Aaron Kane brought out a save from Liam Kelly. The game then went into a period where neither side threatened the other side’s goal until three minutes remaining when Rangers took the lead. Kjeld McIntyre’s free-kick was flicked on by David Brownlee and found Greg Pascazio arriving at the back post to head past the keeper.

United had one final chance to salvage the game when a corner delivered from the right flicked off a Rangers defender and on to Cammy Ballantyne at the back post who headed just over.

Full-Time:- Rangers 1 Dundee United 0

Rangers Squad:- Liam Kelly (Gk), Jamie Wilson (Gk), Steven Chatterton, David Brownlee, Greg Pascazio, Jamie Mills, Lewis Morgan, Michael Mossie, Junior Ogen, Dylan Dykes, Tom Walsh, Ryan Hardie, Kjeld McIntyre, Luke Hammond, Adam Wilson, Ben Reilly

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: