Shootout Joy For Youngsters

Rangers 1 Celtic 1 (Rangers won 4-2 on penalties)

Rangers Under 17’s got their hands on the Glasgow Cup after a dramatic penalty shootout when the sides were tied at 1-1 after ninety minutes. The Ibrox youngsters found the net with the four spotkicks they were required to take and with Celtic failing with two of their four the cup headed to Ibrox.

Celtic hand an early chance after only four minutes, Jamie Lindsay’s free-kick from the right broke to Eoghan O’Connell inside the box and the central defender’s shot was just wide of Liam Kelly’s left hand post. When a corner was cleared from the penalty area at the other end Andy Murdoch knocked the ball back into the box where Stuart Urquhart controlled it on his chest before firing into the side netting.

Jack Kirwan then had a chance for Celtic from the edge of the box on eight minutes which Liam Kelly saved comfortably low to his right.  Just after the quarter-hour mark a dangerous Charlie Telfer cross from the left was punched clear by Jordan Hart under pressure from Danny Stoney.

A few minutes later the visitor’s had a great chance when Denny Johnstone got the better of Stuart Urquhart when chasing a long ball but his shot was tame and straight into the hands of Liam Kelly. Celtic came closer still on twenty-five minutes, the ball broke kindly for Lewis Kidd at the edge of the box and his shot had Liam Kelly beaten but came back of the keeper’s right hand post with Denny Johnstone blazing the rebound over with the goal gaping.

As the half-hour approached Rangers replied  when Andy Murdoch passed inside to Darren Ramsay who’s effort from around twenty-five yards was just too high. Neither side produced a further chance of note as and the half-time whistle blew with the sides level.

Half-Time:- Rangers 0 Celtic 0

Celtic took the lead two minutes after the break, Jack Kirwan’s pass split the Rangers defence and Paul McLellan advanced into the box to shoot past Liam Kelly. The Ibrox youngsters were only behind for three minutes when they equalised with an excellent goal, Jamie Burrows sent Charlie Telfer down the right, he went past Stuart Findlay and hit the byline, his cutback found Darren Ramsay arriving to smash the ball past Jordan Hart from around the penalty spot.

Rangers now had their tails up and Jamie Burrows was only just wide of Jordan Hart’s right hand post when he got his head to Ryan Sinnamon’s cross from the right. Keeper Jordan Hart then produced a stunning save to keep the sides level, Andy Murdoch’s shot from Jamie Burrow’s pass looked netbound until the keeper threw himself to his right to touch the ball over.

Chances in the game were arriving at a regular rate and it was Celtic’s turn to miss two in the space of a couple of minutes. Glenn Eadie’s cross from the right found Denny Johnstone free deep inside Rangers penalty area but he headed tamely over. The striker then missed another great chance, this time Liam Henderson intercepted a slack pass and sent him clear in the inside right channel but he shot across goal and wide of Liam Kelly’s right hand post.

Both sides were starting to feel the effects of the occasion and chances were limited as we entered the last ten minutes when Stuart Urquhart broke from defence and passed to Charlie Telfer his shot from the edge of the box lacked power and Jordan Hart saved comfortably. Celtic then had a period on the ascendancy without causing Liam Kelly’s goal any alarm and the final effort of the game came in the last seconds with Tom Walsh breaking forward before shooting from distance which Jordan Hart saved easily.

Rangers took an early advantage in the shootout with Tom Walsh finding the net and Liam Kelly diving to his tight to parry Jack Kirwan’s spotkick. Successful penalties from Charlie Telfer, Fraser Aird and Dylan Dykes for Rangers and Paul McMullan and Lewis Kidd for Celtic meant that when Jamie Lindsay stepped up he had to score to keep his side alive in the shootout, the midfielder’s shot came back off the crossbar and the cup was headed for Ibrox.

Full-Time:- Rangers 1 Celtic 1 (Rangers won 4-2 on penalties)

Rangers:- Liam Kelly; Ryan Sinnamon, Craig Halkett, Stuart Urquhart, Jordan Wilson; Fraser Aird, Andy Murdoch, Darren Ramsay (Tom Walsh 59mins), Charlie Telfer; Danny Stoney (Dylan Dykes 82mins), Jamie Burrows (Jamie Mills 85mins).

Not Used:- Sam George (Gk), Gloady Ntumba, Ross Kellock, Kjeld McIntyre.

Celtic:- Jordan Hart; Glenn Eadie, Eoghan O’Connell, Stuart Findlay, Ross Madden; Liam Henderson (Paul McMullen 63mins), Jamie Lindsay, Lewis Kidd, Paul McLellan; Denny Johnstone, Jack Kirwan.

Not Used:- Conner Gaffney (Gk), Callum Watters, Conner McManus, Luke Donnelly, Mark Barrowman, Reece Delaney.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: