Serious Injury Overshadows Old Firm Clash

Rangers 0 Celtic 3

Rangers youths lost to Celtic at Murray Park this morning, but the game was overshadowed when Celtic’s Paul George suffered a serious injury in the build up to the opening goal. With Matty Clarke red carded in the second-half Celtic added two late goals for a comfortable win.

Rangers almost took the lead via a Celtic player in the fifth minute, Kamil Wiktorski won the ball in midfield and it was moved out to Fraser Aird on the right, he went past Curtis Jones and hit the byline, his cross was diverted goalwards by Marcus Fraser with keeper Leo Fasan just keeping the ball out. Celtic then had a period in the ascendancy and forced a series of corners without creating any clear-cut chances.

Midway through the half Rangers missed a great chance to take the lead, Kyle McAusland rising unchallenged to head Matty Clarke’s corner just over. Just before the half-hour Celtic took the lead in circumstances that would overshadow the rest of the game. Paul George went past two defenders cutting in from the right, as he crumpled under a challenge on the edge of the box it was obvious the Celtic player had sustained a serious injury. With players from both sides stopping the referee allowed play to continue and the ball arrived at the feet of John Herron who shot past Alan Smith. The game was then held up for five minutes as the stricken player was attended to and taken from the field of play.

Half-Time:- Rangers 0 Celtic 1

Just before the hour Rangers had a decent shout for a penalty, Matty Clarke played the ball up to the halfway line, and superb piece of skill saw Barrie McKay turn past Fraser and race clear, as McKay was about to shoot from a yard inside the box he appeared to be caught by the chasing Fraser but the referee waved play on. A couple of minutes later Callum McGregor created a shooting chance for James Alibi who fired straight at Alan Smith.

As the half approached midway the Celtic defence struggled to clear Robbie Crawford’s corner from the left and the ball broke to Kyle McAusland who’s shot came back off Fasan’s right hand post via a couple of deflections. Two minutes later Rangers were reduced to ten men, having been yellow carded earlier for an off the ball clash with Darnell Fisher, Matty Clarke fouled Dylan McGeouch just inside the Rangers half and was shown a second yellow and subsequent red.

As the final ten minutes approached Herron played the ball out to Liam Gormley on the left and when his cross came into the box only a fantastic Tom Skogsrud challenge cleared the danger. The second goal was only delayed five minutes, Joe Chalmers sent Gormley to the byline and his low cross was netted from close range by James Alibi.

The scoring was complete with only two minutes on the clock, Herron tried to break into the box and the ball broke off a Rangers defender into the path of James Alibi who shot past Alan Smith.

Full-Time:- Rangers 0 Celtic 3

Rangers:- Alan Smith; Kyle McAusland, Adel Gafaiti, Stuart Urquhart, Matty Clarke; Fraser Aird (Jamie Burrows 46mins), Kamil Wiktorski, Lewis McLeod, Robbie Crawford; Josh Robinson (Tom Skogsrud 70mins), Barrie McKay.

Not Used:- Liam Kelly (Gk), Kim Skokgsrud, Aaron McGregor, Anthony Marenghi

Celtic:- Leo Fasan; Darnell Fisher, Marcus Fraser, Curtis Jones, Joe Chalmers; Dylan McGeouch (Lewis Kidd 88mins), John Herron, Jackson Irvine, Callum McGregor, Paul George (James Alibi 28mins); Liam Gormley (Denny Johnstone 89mins)

Not Used:-Robbie Thomson (Gk), Michael Miller, Stuart Findlay, Jamie Lindsay.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: