14’s Edge Out Saints

Rangers 4 St.Mirren 3

With the youth leagues about to go into cold storage I managed to get my fix of youth football this week by taking in the Under 14’s game against St.Mirren at Murray Park. The young Rangers side got revenge after their recent defeat to the Paisley side, although two late goals from the visitors almost pegged them back.

St. Mirren were first to threaten after five minutes with a break down the left, Robbie McCrorie came out of his box, the Saints attacker evaded him but from wide-angle his effort went harmlessly across goal. Three minutes later only a fine save prevented Rangers taking the lead, a move involving Greg Taylor, Ross Lyon and John Cunningham saw the later denied by a save at point-blank range from the Saints keeper.

Rangers Trialist Stuart ????? then latched on to a poor pass back and rounded the keeper, but the stopper had done enough to force him wide of goal and the ball ran out for a goal kick. The visitors then took the lead with a fine move down the right and when the ball was played across goal the striker netted from close range.

Rangers were back on level terms four minutes later, Greg Taylor was fouled out on the left touchline and when Josh Jeffries sent the free-kick into the box Jamie Barjonas was on hand to head past the keeper. The visitors then had a couple of chances before the end of the first period, the first came from an attack down the left but the shot was dragged across goa and widel. Their striker then found himself through on goal and he tried to chip Robbie McCrorie but the Rangers keeper stretched to save.

Five minutes into the second period Rangers took the lead, a great run into the box from the right from Jamie Barjonas took him past two defenders to sent up a chance for Greg Taylor with the keeper diverting his shot wide with his legs. Greg Taylor swung over the corner from the right and Jason Krones rose to head into the net. Five minutes later Rangers had their keeper to thank for keeping their lead intact, from a break down the right and cutback into the box Robbie McCrorie blocked at point-blank range with his legs.

Rangers then hit St.Mirren with two goals in as many minutes midway through the second period, Josh Jeffries sent in a corner from the left and Ross McCrorie’s header looked netbound with John Cunningham well placed to just make sure with a close range header. Josh Jeffries then split the defence with a superb pass to John Cunningham in the inside left channel, the striker took a touch before sending an unstoppable shot high into the net from just inside the box.

St. Mirren were given a chance to get back into the game when they were awarded a penalty with around nine minutes left which they duly converted. With a couple of minutes left they reduced the deficit further with an attack on the right hand side of the box and a superb strike that found the net despite Robbie McCrorie getting a touch.

Rangers went straight to the other end and Josh Jeffries broke forward from midfield, he cut inside the defender at the edge of the box and fired a shot off the keeper’s left hand post and along the line before being cleared. Saints had one final chance with an attack down the left with keeper Robbie McCrorie parrying the shot.

Full-Time:- Rangers 4 St.Mirren 3

Rangers Squad:- Robbie McCrorie (GK), Ross McCrorie, Lewis White, Jason Krones, Reagan Milne, Jamie Barjonas, Stuart ?????, Ross Lyon, John Cunningham, Greg Taylor, Josh Jeffries, Gary McGreish, Jamie Brandon, Peter ?????

Footnote:- In an earlier kick-off Rangers 13’s beat their St.Mirren counterparts 3-0.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: