Easy Glasgow Cup Win For 17’s

Clyde 0 Rangers 9

Following last week’s scare against Queen’s Park, Alan Kernaghan’s Under 17’s had a more than comfortable win at Broadwood tonight. Indeed it wasn’t until the closing few minutes that the home side had their first meaningful attempt at goal.

Rangers took an early lead after only five minutes, Charlie Telfer was free inside the right hand side of the penalty area, he could have gone for goal himself but rolled the ball across goal to give Jamie Burrows the simple task of scoring from close range. Four minutes later Rangers were awarded a free-kick on the right hand angle of the box, Stuart Urquhart stepped up and his effort on goal was touched on to the bar and over by keeper Liam Cameron.

On the quarter-hour mark Andy Murdoch sent Danny Stoney through on goal but he shot wide of the left hand post. Stoney looked certain to score two minutes later, Jordan Wilson’s cross to the back post looked perfect but Danny miscued his header and Cameron was allowed to make the save. Rangers doubled their lead on twenty minutes with a fine goal, Stoney played the ball up to Jamie Burrows, a superb touch and turn took him away from a defender and he showed great strength to hold off Fraser McGhee before a neat finish past Cameron.

Four minutes later the striker turned creator when set up Stoney inside the box who was  only denied by a fine Cameron save at point-blank range. Sixty seconds later the home side were hit by a three goal burst in as many minutes, when Cameron failed to hold a Wilson cross from the left, Ryan Sinnamon’s shot crossed the line despite the efforts of two Clyde defenders on the line.

A superb Telfer pass then sent Stoney heading for the byline on the right and his cutback was converted by Darren Ramsay for number four. The fifth goal soon followed this time Tom Walsh was the architect setting up Charlie Telfer to advance into the box and beat Cameron.

The home keeper was to excel in a busy sixty seconds just before the break, when a cross from the left was headed up in the air Cameron reacted to block Stoney’s volley and then dived to his left to turn Walsh’s shot wide for a corner. And he wasn’t finished yet, when the corner found its way to Wilson on the left hand side of the box, it was his turn to be denied as Cameron again threw himself to the left to touch wide.

Half-Time:- Clyde 0 Rangers 5

The second half was soon following a similar pattern and two minutes had passed when Ramsay had an incredible miss, he started the move with a pass to Walsh on the left and made his way into the six yard box to be on the end of Walsh’s low ball across goal but somehow screwed wide from a couple of yards. Two minutes later it was Ramsay that got a flick on to Wilson’s long ball and send Burrows clear, the striker went round keeper Cameron but defender Cameron Love got back to concede a corner.

On fifty-two  minutes Rangers got their first goal of the second half, Wilson played the ball forward to Ramsay, the midfielder delayed his pass to match the run from Scott Roberts who progressed into the box and shoot past Cameron. Four minutes later Rangers scored again, from a free-kick just outside the box on the right, around ten yards from the byline, Ramsay took everyone by surprise when he shot for goal and when keeper Cameron failed to hold, Jamie Burrows was well placed to net from a couple of yards.

Despite the heroics from Cameron Rangers scored again with twenty minutes remaining, the keeper advanced from his line to save at the feet of Burrows after he was played through by Telfer. The ball broke kindly for Burrows who set up Telfer, his effort was saved by the keeper. But he was out of luck on the third occasion when it broke to Roberts, although he screwed his shot across goal it went straight to Darren Ramsay who fired past the helpless keeper.

Scoring was complete with the goal of the game on eighty-three minutes, when the ball was cleared from the Clyde penalty area Dylan Dykes gave Cameron no chance as he curled a 25 yarder into the bottom right hand corner of the net. The home side never gave up and were denied a consolation by a fine Liam Kelly save, Mark King’s pass released Danny Hendry inside the left hand side of the box, the Rangers keeper stood his ground to block the shot and keep his clean sheet.

Full-Time:- Clyde 0 Rangers 9

Clyde:- Liam Cameron; Conor Paton (Charles McCann 81mins), Fraser McGhee (Josh Robertson 46mins), Cameron Love, Cameron McGhee; Dillan Duddy (Sean Mears 46mins), Dan Smith, Reece Glackin, Danny Hendry; Mark King, Scott Ferguson.

Not Used:- Greg Kane, Cameron Cairney.

Rangers:- Liam Kelly; Ryan Sinnamon (Dylan Dykes 46mins), Craig Halkett, Stuart Urquhart, Jordan Wilson; Danny Stoney (Scott Roberts 46mins), Andy Murdoch, Darren Ramsay, Tom Walsh (Jamie Mills 60mins); Jamie Burrows, Charlie Telfer.

Not Used:- Sam George (GK)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: