McCabe Nets Late Winner

Stirling Albion 0 Rangers 1

A speculative thirty yarder from Rhys McCabe that the trialist keeper let slip under his body was enough to secure a win at Forthbank last night.

In a tame first half there were only two efforts of note, in the twelfth minute the home side came close when Gary Brass laid the ball back to Sean Fagan and his shot brought out a fine save from Alan Smith high to his left. Six minutes later  from a Rhys McCabe free-kick on the left hand angle of the box Kyle McAusland headed narrowly over.

Half-Time:- Stirling Albion 0 Rangers 0

With less than ten minutes of the second half gone the home side were denied by the woodwork, Scott Davidson curled a free-kick over the wall only to see it come back off Smith’s right hand post. Just after the hour mark a poor clearance from Devon Jacobs was met at the edge of the box by Andy Mitchell and his effort saw keeper Sam Filler dive to his left to turn the ball round the post.

With only five minutes remaining Rhys McCabe tried his luck from all of thirty yards with Stirling’s Trialist substitute keeper allowing the ball to slip under his body and over the line.

Full Time:- Stirling Albion 0 Rangers 1

Stirling Albion:- Sam Filler (Trialist 73mins), Devon Jacobs (Danny Ashe 70 mins), Brian Allison, Gary Thom (Trialist 70mins), John Crawley; Dale McSorley, Sean Fagan (Trialist 54mins), Marc McCulloch, Lewis Bonnar (Andy Hunter 81mins); Gary Brass (Paul Scott 46mins), Scott Davidson.

Rangers:- Alan Smith; Kyle McAusland, Chris Hegarty (Ewan McNeil 66mins), Kim Skogsrud, Tim Skogsrud; Andy Mitchell (Robbie McIntyre 71mins), Darren Cole ( Nicolas Kohlert 46mins), Rhys McCabe, Robbie Crawford (Gregor Fotheringham) ; Jack Wernly (Marc Dyer 63mins), Kal Naismith (Kamil Wiktorski 84mins).

Not Used:- Blair Currie, Adam Hunter, Ants Marenghi

Rangers 2 Falkirk 4

Earlier in the day Rangers took on Falkirk at Murray Park, with Rangers changing all ten outfield players at half-time. The second half side coming out with a bit of credit after a poor first-half showing.

Yet it was Rangers that threatened first after three minutes, Aaron Spear’s cross from the right was cleared to the edge of the box and Kamil Wiktorski shot just wide of Graham Bowman’s left hand post. A minute later Falkirk had a great chance when Adam Hunter was judged to have pushed inside the box and the referee pointed to the spot. Blair Currie producing a brilliant parry from Ryan Miller’s powerfully struck shot with the Falkirk striker blazing the rebound over.

Seven Minutes later Craig Sibbald had a chance after a break down the right but shot weakly straight at Currie. Falkirk’s break through was only delayed and they took the lead just before the quarter-hour mark, good play on the right by Craig Sibbald and his pass inside gave Ryan Miller the opportunity to shoot past Currie.

The visitors continued to look the most likely to score and seven minutes later Connor McGrandles set up Sibbald at the edge of the box and he shot narrowly over. Just after the hour Falkirk doubled their lead a through ball from Kris Faulds caught out the home defence and Ryan Miller held off Hunter before shooting past Currie.

Two minutes later and it was three Hunter sent Miller crashing inside the box and Thomas Grant stepped up to beat Currie from the spot. Five minutes before the break Aaron Spear, Andy ?????  and Wiktorski combined to set up a chance for Darren Ramsay but his shot was wide of the keeper’s left hand post.

A minute before the break Rangers fell further behind, a long ball down the right sent Miller clear and his pass across goal was converted by Kris Faulds. Rangers had one last effort before the break when Ewan McNeil cut inside and Bowman saved low to his left.

Half-Time:- Rangers 0 Falkirk 4

With a complete change of outfield players Rangers were looking to respond after a very poor first half and seven minutes in they pulled one back, great play on the right from Andy Murdoch and his low cross was fired first time past Bowman by Callum Gallagher. With twenty minutes remaining Rangers reduced the deficit further, trialist Jamie Burrows nodding Matty Clarke’s free kick from the right past Bowman.

Five minutes later Callum Wyllie’s cross from the left was flicked on by Tom ????? and Gallgher at full stretch couldn’t quite reach the ball at the far post. Just inside the last ten minutes Rangers were denied a penalty, Fraser Aird switched play to Gallagher on the right and he appeared to be brought down as he went past Liam Dick but the referee waved play on. Rangers had one final chance when a short corner on the right saw Adel Gafaiti rise to head Aird’s cross narrowly wide.

Full-Time:- Rangers 2 Falkirk 4

Rangers 1st Half:- Blair Currie; Andy ?????, Adam Hunter, Stuart Urquhart, Robbie McIntyre; Ewan McNeil, Kamil Wiktorski, Gregor Fotheringham, Ants Marenghi; Aaron Spear, Darren Ramsay.

Rangers 2nd Half:- Blair Currie; Andy Murdoch, Adel Gafaiti, Jordan Wilson, Matty Clarke; Callum Gallagher, Fraser Aird, Aaron McGregor, Callum Wyllie; Tom ?????, Jamie Burrows.

Falkirk:- Graham Bowman, Liam Rowan, Murray Wallace ( Tyler Fulton 77mins), Kyle Turbull, Liam Dick; Connor McGrandles, Kris Faulds, Jay Fulton (Jamie Barclay 62mins), Craig Sibbald (Blair Munn 59mins); Thomas Grant, Ryan Miller (Stephen Brisbane 46ins)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: