Youngsters Lose Out In Glasgow Cup Final

Celtic 1 Rangers 0

Rangers under 17’s lost their grip on the Glasgow Cup going down to a 1-0 defeat at Parkhead last night. They were on the back foot for most of the game before rallying in an effort to take the game to penalties.

Celtic started better and threatened after only three minutes when Paul George broke into the box and shot wide. A minute later Joe Chalmers tried his luck from distance which Blair Currie saved easily.

On eight minutes Currie did well to cut out Denny Johnstone’s low cross from the right. A minute later and Rangers made their first venture forward when Darren Ramsay picked the ball up at the edge of the box but shot high and wide.

Chalmers corner from the right was punched by Currie but only as far as John Herron and the Rangers keeper reacted to block  his attempt at goal. Five minutes later and Chalmers lopping cross from the left had Currie stretching to claw from under his cross-bar.

On thirty-two minutes Rangers had the chance of the half, Currie gathered a cross following a corner and from his clearance Marc Dyer was through on goal, as Leonardo Fasan advanced from his line and the Rangers midfielder’s attempted lob looked netbound but the  keeper diving high to his left diverted the ball for a corner.

Just before the break Herron got the break of the ball in midfield and advanced into the box before shooting goalwards Currie diving to his left turned the ball wide.

Half-Time:- Celtic 0 Rangers 0

The first effort on goal came two minutes into the half when Johnstone cut inside before shooting and Rangers keeper Currie saved comfortably. Just over ten minutes of the half had elapsed when Celtic broke the deadlock, Darnell Fisher won the ball in midfield and played it forward to Paul George, his shot from the edge of the box beat Currie low to his left and found the bottom corner.

Within a minute Rangers had a great chance at the other end, Gregor Fotheringham’s cross from the right found George Scott arriving at the back post on the edge of the six yard box, but the Rangers substitute mis-controlled and the ball bounced wide.  Midway through the half a superb double save from Currie kept Rangers in the match, George shot from the edge of the box and the keeper dived to his left to parry and got back on his feet to block William Ankarhake at point-blank range.

Rangers almost snatched an equaliser in the dying minutes, Dyer fed the over lapping Robbie McIntyre on the left, Callum Gallagher got his head to the full-back’s cross but headed over.

Full-Time:- Celtic 1 Rangers 0

Celtic:- Leonardo Fasan; Michael Miller, Marcus Fraser, Joe O’Brien, Joe Chalmers; John Herron (Stuart Findlay 89mins), Darnell Fisher, Lewis Kidd, Paul George, Mo Yakub (Jack Kirwan 90mins); Denny Johnstone (William Ankarhake 64mins)

Not Used:- James Wighman (GK), Jamie Lindsay, Ross Madden, Tim Mjalby

Rangers:- Blair Currie; Andy Murdoch, Scott Rumsby (Callum Gallagher 68mins), Jordan Wilson, Robbie McIntyre; Darren Ramsay, Gregor Fotheringham, Adel Gafaiti, Marc Dyer, Matty Clarke (George Scott 46mins); Sam McMahon (Callum Wyllie 46mins).

Not Used:- Sam George (GK), Frankie Owens, Freddy Espling, Greg Pascazio.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: