Youths Hit ‘Well For Eight

Rangers 8 Motherwell 1

Billy Kirkwood’s under 19’s were in top form today, hitting eight past Motherwell at Murray Park. In a game that saw a lot of good performances from the home side Motherwell found Kane Hemmings a real handful.

Rangers first effort on goal came just before the ten minute mark when Gordon Dick hit a free-kick from just outside the left hand side of the box over the wall and just wide. The visitors then threatened when Gavin Griffin played the ball forward and Lee Erwin’s flick on gave Stephen Howarth a chance with Gary Inglis coming out to scramble the ball clear.

‘Well keeper Willie Muir had to be brave to save at the feet of Kane Hemmings after Andy Mitchell and Dylan McGeough combined to set up the chance.  A minute later and Muir was in action again to deny Hemmings, this time as he raced through on a Kal Naismith flick on from an Inglis clearance.Rangers eventually took the lead on the twenty-minute mark, retaining possession while probing the Motherwell defence the ball was played forward and when it was cleared to the edge of the box Rhys McCabe gave Muir no chance with a right foot shot.

Three minutes later and the home side struck again, a powerful run down the right saw Hemmings play the ball square to Dylan McGeough inside the penalty box and he calmly knocked the ball past Muir. Motherwell struck back four minutes later, when Darren Cole fouled Lee Erwin at the edge of the box the big striker stepped up to send a low shot passed the wall into the bottom corner.

Rangers regained their two goal advantage on the half-hour mark with a superb goal. Breaking from their own penalty area McGeough played the ball forward to Gordon Dick who sent Hemmings clear on the right and his ball across the box was converted by Kal Naismith from around the penalty spot. It looked certain they would increase their lead two minutes later, Mitchell’s cross from the left was controlled on the chest by McGeough and just when everyone expected to see the ball hit the net he shot wide.

Rangers next attempt came at the end of a great one-two between Naismith and Dick with the former just shooting wide. Five minutes before the break Rangers got a slightly fortunate fourth,  good play on the left from Andy Mitchell created space for a cross and his attempt caught out keeper Muir and landed in the back of the net. Right on the half-time whistle a superb solo run saw Hemmings leave two defenders in his wake as he burst into the box only to be denied by a superb Muir save.

Half-Time:- Rangers 4 Motherwell 1

Rangers were soon back on the offensive after the break and McGeough was only just too high with his effort after the chance was created by McCabe and Hemmings.  A minute later and the visitors looked likely to pull one back when great play by Erwin saw him go past  a defender and keeper Inglis and only a great challenge from Darren Cole denied the striker his second goal.

Motherwell were to rue that missed chanced when Rangers increased their lead five minutes later, Hemmings  sent Kal Naismith clear and as Muir came out to block he showed great skill to dink the ball over the diving keeper. On the hour it looked like Hemmings would get the goal his play deserved, as he burst into the box the pressure from defender Liam Sloan was enough to make him drag his shot wide.

The big striker wasn’t to be denied, three minutes later McCabe sent Kane Hemmings clear and this time he made no mistake shooting past Muir. Barely sixty seconds hand passed when he grabbed his second and Rangers seventh, Naismith’s powerful shot from the edge was too hot for Muir to handle and as the ball broke from the keeper’s grasp Kane Hemmings was on hand to knock the ball home.

With just under twenty minutes left the visitor’s threatened to reduce the deficit, Howarth played the ball through for Erwin to chase with Inglis racing from his goal to clear. Two minutes later Rangers scored again this time it was created and finished by Dylan McGeough, collecting the ball on the left his broke forward past a couple of defenders before beating Muir via his left hand post from the edge of the box.

The final of effort of note came with just over ten minutes remaining, the ball was played into Hemmings inside the box, with his back to goal his overhead kick was parried up into the air by Muir and the ‘Well keeper got back to claw the ball clear just as it looked to be crossing the line.

Full-Time:- Rangers 8 Motherwell 1

Rangers:- Gary Inglis; Kyle McAusland, Chris Hegarty, Darren Cole (Steven Hetherington 69mins), Robbie McIntyre; Gordon Dick, Dylan McGeough (Adam Hunter 77mins), Rhys McCabe, Andy Mitchell (Kamil Wiktorski 69mins);Kane Hemmings, Kal Naismith.

Not Used:- Liam Kelly (GK), Robbie Crawford, Christiano Kisuka, Ewan McNeill

Motherwell:- Willie Muir; Gavin Griffin, Liam Sloan, Euan Murray (Michael Lynch 36mins), Ross McKinnon; Josh Watt (Chris Connor 77mins), Bradley Halsman, Stuart Carswell, Kieran McDonald(Kieran McGachie 63mins); Lee Erwin, Stephen Howarth.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: