16’s Comfortable Win Over Clyde

Rangers 7 Clyde 2

Eddie May’s under 16’s had a comfortable win over Clyde on a cold clear night at Murray Park last night. The latest in a series of games for an age group that is not included in the development leagues, saw more of the 15’s given some time at this level.

It was a very open start to the game with chances coming thick and fast, the first after only four minutes when Darren McGill’s through ball saw the Clyde keeper rush from his line to save at the feet of Darren Ramsay. A couple of minutes later he denied Ramsay again, saving after the Clyde defence failed to clear a Charlie Telfer corner.

A minute later it was Rangers keeper Liam Kelly in action, making a fine block with his legs when the visitor’s striker was through on goal. Rangers were soon back on attack and Telfer advanced down the right before passing inside to Ramsay who shot just wide.

On ten minutes a ball over the top from Ramsay sent Callum McConnell clear, he was a bit too casual with his finish and the keeper saved. Almost immediately  a slack pass out of defence gave Ramsay a chance and again the keeper  saved his side.

Rangers eventually took the lead on seventeen minutes, Ramsay sent the ball out to McGill on the left and his low cross was fired past the keeper by Andy Murdoch. Two minutes later a passing move involving Murdoch, Telfer and Ramsay looked to have set up McConnell for Rangers second but he shot wide.

The Clyde keeper then continued his personal battle with Ramsay, making a fine save low to his right, after Murdoch and Telfer combined to create the opportunity. Rangers doubled their lead on 24 minutes, Telfer’s corner from the left was deep to the back post and Craig Halkett was in acres of space to nod home.

A minute later and it was three, Halkett’s great run forward from full-back saw him find Murdoch inside who’s pass found Charlie Telfer free inside the box and he shot across the keeper in to the corner. Ten minutes before half-time McConnell missed a great chance, after another run forward he was found by Halkett, a one-two with Ramsay put him through and just when he looked certain to make it four he shot wide.

With half-time approaching Telfer and Ramsay combined to release the overlapping Halkett,  he advanced into the box and with better options inside he elected to shoot and could only find the side netting. Five minutes before the break Rangers grabbed a fourth, Murdoch sent Telfer clear and he rolled the ball across the box where Darren Ramsay applied the finish. In the final minute the visitors had an opportunity from a free-kick at the edge of the box but the effort was just too high and cleared the bar.

Half-Time:- Rangers 4 Clyde 0

The visitors started the half on the offensive and missed a great chance in the opening minute, a cross from the left created the chance but the Clyde player headed straight at keeper Scott McCauley. Straight to the other end and two of the substitutes combined when Paul Kane sent Ciaran Summers clear and the Clyde keeper blocked with his legs.

Summers came even closer a minute later, creating the chance for himself his shot from the edge of the box beat the keeper but came back of the crossbar. On 52 minutes the Bully Wee pulled a goal back, their front two , who had looked lively throughout combined to sent up the chance and the striker sent a looping shot over Macauley and into the net.

Almost immediately they missed another great chance after a move down the left but when the ball came into the box the player shot across goal and wide. Clyde were continuing to create and Macauley had to be alert when their striker sent and neat pass through, the Rangers keeper saving at the Clyde players feet.

Twenty minutes in and Rangers got back on track scoring a fifth to extend their lead, great attacking full-back play on the right from Jack Donaldson saw him hit the byline and his cutback was met first time by Darren Ramsay to give the keeper no chance. A few minutes later and the Clyde keeper made a fine save after his defence failed to  a corner, Jack Baird created space for himself and the keeper blocked at point-blank range.

The visitors capitalised on that break by going straight up the park and scoring their second, the ball was played out to the left and when the cross came into the box it was fired past Macauley. Rangers then restored their four goal advantage on 72 minutes, Murdoch won the ball in midfield and sent Kane clear on the left, his cross was superbly controlled by Darren Ramsay before firing past the keeper.

The Broadwood side then had a narrow escape when an attempted clearance by their defender came back of the post, Telfer’s run and cross on the right creating the danger. Rangers then scored another with ten minutes left on the clock, created on the right by the Ramsay/ Telfer combination and rolled across the box for Ciaran Summers to net.

In the final minutes the Clyde keeper who had an impressive game had a couple of more saves. His best of the match came  when Summers cross was met by Jordan Wilson and he brilliantly saved from point-blank range. And right at the death he dived to his left to deny McConnell after Ramsay created the chance.

Full-Time:- Rangers 7 Clyde 2

Rangers Squad:- Liam Kelly (GK), Scott Macauley (GK), Craig Halkett, Ross Kellock, Jordan Wilson, Jack Baird, Lewis Martin, Charlie Telfer, Andy Murdoch, Callum McConnell, Darren Ramsay, Darren McGill, Jack Donaldson, Ciaran Summers, Paul Kane.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: