Youths Held By Hibs

Rangers 1 Hibernian 1

Rangers under 19’s dominated this morning’s game but failed to turn that superiority into three points and indeed Hibs could have stolen a win at the death. There was one change from the team that started at Motherwell last week, Robbie Crawford coming in for the injured Kal Naismith.

Rangers started brightly a created a good chance after four minutes, Robbie Crawford played the ball to Max Wright at the edge of the box and he laid it back to Gordon Dick who shot just wide. Two minutes late Scott Smith fired in a long-range free-kick  for Hibs but it was straight at Wayne Drummond and he saved easily.

On eleven minutes the visitor’s keeper Callum Artell had a fine save, diving to his left to turn Rhys McCabe’s effort round the post after he was setup by Dylan McGeough. Hibs were rarely inside the final third and it was another long-range effort from David Gold but again it failed to trouble Drummond.

Only a goal line clearance prevented Rangers taking the lead on twenty minutes, Dick and McGeough worked a short corner on the right and when McCabe headed the latter’s cross goalwards  it looked like the opener till a Hibs defender headed off the line.  A couple of minutes later and Artell saved again low to his left, after Crawford created a shooting chance for Max Wright.

Just after the half-hour Darren Cole got his head to Dick’s corner from the left but his header went just wide. On 37 minutes Hibernian took the lead against the run of play, Scott Smith’s free-kick from out of the left hand touchline was meant as a cross into the box but went over everyone’s head and into the net off the junction of post and bar.

Half-Time:- Rangers 0 Hibernian 1

The first effort after the break came when Dick cut in from the right but his shot was straight at keeper Artell. There then was a period of little goalmouth action until Lewis Horner broke forward and shot just over for the Edinburgh side on 63 minutes. A minute later the ball broke to Wright inside the box with keeper  Artell denying the striker,  blocking his shot with his feet.

Rangers drew level on 68 minutes, McCabe’s cross from the left was headed back across goal by Kyle McAusland and Max Wright was on hand to score from close range. Rangers failed to build on this and only a McGeough shot just over with fifteen minutes to go threatened he Hibs goal.

Indeed it was Hibernian who almost grabbed a winner in the final ten minutes, with six minutes left on the clock Smith broke forward from full-back and his shot from around 25 yards beat Drummond and rebounded back off the keeper’s left hand post. Then in the final minute Artell’s clearance sent David Crawford clean through and only a superb Drummond save kept the scores level.

Full-Time:- Rangers 1 Hibernian 1

Rangers:- Wayne Drummond; Kyle McAusland, Chris Hegarty, Darren Cole, Steven Hetherington; Gordon Dick, Dylan McGeough, Kamil Wiktorski, Robbie Crawford (Adam Hunter 80mins); Rhys McCabe, Max Wright

Not Used:- Alan Smith (GK), Ewan McNeil, Michael Noble, Andy Mitchell, Christiano Kisuka, Lewis McLeod.

Hibernian:- Callum Artell; Callum Burns, Jordan Forster, Jack Verth, Scott Smith; David Crawford, Lewis Horner, Harry Monaghan, Dean Horribine, David Gold (Mark Lancaster 68mins); Daniel Handling (Phil Addison 62mins)

Not Used:- Paul Grant (GK), Jon Wright

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: