Glasgow Cup Win Over Jags

Rangers 2 Partick Thistle 0

Rangers Under 17’s overcame a dogged Partick Thistle side to record a win in tonight’s Glasgow Cup Sectional game at Murray Park. The home side started brightly and Lewis McLeod setup an opportunity for Callum Gallagher inside three minutes but is effort was straight at keeper Blair Lochead.

Four minutes later McLeod combined with George Scott to play in overlapping Mark Taylor, his shot from a narrow angle was parried behind by Lochead. On ten minutes the Thistle keeper needed two attempts to gather a long-range strike from Gregor Fotheringham.

For a long period the game became a midfield battle with neither side creating much. The next effort of any note came five minutes before half-time. A Scott corner from the right was headed out  only as far as Marc Dyer at the edge of the box although keeper Lochead saved his shot without too much difficulty.

Half-Time:- Rangers 0 Partick Thistle 0

A superb counter attack following a Thistle corner saw McLeod carry the ball deep inside the opposition’s half before playing the ball to Scott, who cut inside, back on to his right foot but shot just wide. A minute later  Darren Ramsay went past a defender on the right, his cross come shot had Lochead beaten but came back off the crossbar.

On 57 minutes only a superb Sam George save prevented Thistle taking the lead. Jordan McGrotty won the battle with Scott Rumsby to a long ball, his shot deflected of the Rangers defender and George dived to his right to parry the ball away. Five minutes later and Rangers took the lead from the penalty spot, a great Ramsay run from the halfway continued when he played a one-two with Scott, his pass set Lewis McLeof free and he was brought down inside the box for a clear penalty, although the referee initially indicated the offence took place outside the box, he was corrected by his linesman. Gregor Fotheringham stepped up to beat Lochead from the spot.

Four minutes later Ramsay tried his luck when he cut in from the right and Lochead saved. On 70 minutes Robbie McIntyre made a great run from full-back taking him past two Thistle defenders although Lochead saved his shot comfortably. A minute later the Jags keeper excelled diving to his right to beat away Callum Wyllie’s shot after a forward run from Mark Taylor set up the chance.

With quarter of an hour remaining Thistle had strong penalty claims when McGrotty went down under a Rumsby challenge but the referee who was some distance away waved play on. Rangers then made the game safe with seven minutes on the clock, Callum Wyllie latched on to a long McIntyre pass, went past a defender and beat Lochead from a tight angle.

Full Time:- Rangers 2 Partick Thistle o

Rangers:- Sam George; Mark Taylor, Scott Rumsby, Stuart Urquhart, Robbie McIntyre; Frankie Owens (Lee Cochrane 53mins), Gregor Fotheringham, Lewis McLeod, George Scott, Marc Dyer (Darren Ramsay 46mins); Callum Gallagher (Callum Wyllie 70mins)

Not Used:- Connor Shaw (GK), Andy Murdoch

Partick Thistle:- Blair Lochead, Gary Hynds, David Brown, Michael Gould, Malky McLean, Kieran Melville, Chris McInnes, Connor Delaney, Michael Mosson; Jordan McGrotty, Callum McArthur

Subs ????

P W D L F A Pts
Rangers 3 2 0 1 7 2 6
Celtic 2 2 0 0 4 1 6
Clyde 2 1 0 1 5 4 3
Partick Thistle 3 1 0 2 8 10 3
Queen’s Park 3 1 0 2 5 12 3

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: