Friendly Ends Goalless

Rangers 0 Queen’s Park 0

Rangers youths took on Queen’s Park in a friendly at Murray Park tonight. The Rangers team was made up of mainly of the younger under 19’s players and included two trialists, a left-back from Belgium and Northern Ireland under 17’s youth player Matty Clarke.  It took several saves from both Rangers keepers to deny the Hampden side victory.

In the early part of the game it was the Rangers youngsters that looked most likely to open the scoring, seven minutes in and Sam McMahon chased a long ball from Kamil Wiktorski, under pressure from a defender he tried to head over the keeper who saved comfortably. Three minutes later and good play on the left by Matty Clarke saw him cut inside and the Queen’s Park keeper blocked his shot with his foot.

A few minutes later and the visitors created their first chance, a pass from midfield sending the striker clear, he lobbed the ball over the advancing Alan Smith and just wide. Ten minutes later and the Queen’s Park keeper was in action, diving to his left to parry a Christiano Kisuka shot after he cut in from the right.

The keeper was again in action on the half-hour mark, McMahon out muscled a defender running on to a long pass from Kyle McAusland the keeper saving bravely at his feet. McAusland then did well to blocked a shot at the other end after a break down the right and pass across the box.

This period saw a burst of end to end action and a minute later McMahon won the ball in midfield which was then picked up by Kal Naismith who made space to get a shot away which the keeper saved to his left. The visitors then again broke down the right and when the ball was played inside their midfielder shot narrowly wide.

Half-Time:-Rangers 0 Queen’s Park 0

The visitors came out the offensive and Alan Smith made a decent save from a shot from the angle of the penalty area. He bettered that a few minutes later when the Queen’s Park striker was free inside the box the Rangers keeper saved with his legs.

Smith again came to the rescue on 56 minutes, a slip by Michael Noble left the visitors striker in the clear, Smith producing a great save to his right. Ten minutes later and it was Nicky Main to the rescue, clearing a header of the line following a corner from the right.

Rangers changed keepers with twenty minutes left but the pattern was the same and when the Queen’s Park player was through he knocked the ball past Gary Inglis but Kamil Wiktorski won the race for the loose ball and cleared for a corner. Ten minutes later and Inglis produced a great save to his right when the striker was through one on one.

The final chance came with five minutes remaining when the impressive Owen Ronald cut in from the left and his shot saw Inglis make another fine save to ensure the game remained goalless.

Full-Time :- Rangers 0 Queen’s Park 0

Rangers :- Alan Smith (Gary Inglis 70mins); Kyle McAusland (Ewan McNeil 46mins), Kamil Wiktorski, Michael Noble (Scott Rumsby 66mins), Trialist No 3; Christiano Kisuka (George Scott 46 mins), Nicky Main, Kal Naismith, Matty Clarke; Sam McMahon (Gregor Fotheringham 66mins), Anthony Marenghi (Lee Cochrane 70mins)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: